Possible revision due to complications

MARTINA P.
on 5/6/11 3:31 am - ROCKMART, GA
 First off thank you for taking the time to read this and help a current DS sister out.  I had my original DS surgery on 3/15/11 then obtained a mechanical obstruction that resulted in me being admitted started on TPN and having surgery on 3/30/11 for removal of adhesion's.  I had a hard time recovering from mechanical obstruction which meant I had to have 5 EDG's to dilate the obstructed area which was around anastimosis.  I just got out of the hospital again on May 4, 2011 with some news that I am not happy about and need to hear from you all.  According to my Dr.  who I love my stomach is not emptying out when I eat which is a functional problem.  My doctor state that I might have to be converted to a RYN with DS absorption.  I know that I might not have a choice but I want to hear from some of you and see if any of you had this complication and what was done to treat problem.  I'm scared of being converted because I did not want a RNY to begin with because of fear of gaining it back, not being able to be scoped,  and things getting caught in the pouch.  Please help me with advise and hope. If any of you have been converted to a RNY please let me know.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

smileyjamie72
on 5/6/11 3:59 am, edited 5/6/11 3:59 am - Palmer, AK

Martina-

Sorry to hear about this!!!  The good news is that there are 2 people that immediately pop into my mind...... Vitalady (Michelle) she has a pouch with either an ERNY or DS anatomy in the lower portion.

And then, Maddie, who was an RNY to start & had a revision to DS.  Dr. Greenbaum was her doc.  She had LOTS of tummy trouble and was TPN for over 6 months if I remeber correctly.  She ended up losing her pyloric valve a year  after her DS revision surgery.

These 2 ladies are great!!!!  Do a "Shout OUT" for them on the DS board.
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 2:49 pm
 Martina, I would not jump right into a revision just because the surgeon says that's the only way for him to do it. For what it will do to you I would get at least one other opinion from a well known DS doctor. Don't take the word of just one doctor, it is your quality of life you are talking about for the rest of your life.
I hope you get that second opinion.
Good Luck
Renfairewench
on 5/13/11 12:47 pm
Martina, I think I may have already replied to this thread on a different board, but if not here is a link you should read. I had a revision from RNY to DS and suffered from a plethora of issues which ultimately left me with yet another 1/3 of my stomach taken away and the loss of my pylorus. I have a DS intestinal configuration and I have basically a pouch with a stoma somewhere on my stomach.  All of this was due to strictures, gastric leaks, fistulas and more. I was on enteral feeding for 3 months, then on TPN for 8 months. Potentially I could have lost my entire stomach so to have a little stomach left is actually quite a nice thing. I miss my pylorus, but I have no real food issues now with my pouch stomach. I am quite healed and doing well and just about 7 pounds from my goal. The do take a boat load of vitamines and I take care when taking NASIDS. I am not a frequent user of them though. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Most Active