BOB - Band over Bypass approved - Surgery June 23rd

jlflbf
on 5/8/11 10:23 am - Shore Area, NJ
I live in Toms River Nj and i am interested in having the revision for RNY to DS, who was your Dr? did insurance cover? i lost 170 lbs and have regained 70 of it....i am at a loss, i have started walking again to no avail. i seem to be at a stand still, plus i dump and have iron issues, if you could direct me to a doctor it would be greatly appreciated. was it hard to get insurance approval? i know for my RNY i had alot of problems. i had to have 6 months diet from dr, and all my health records 5 years back.
let me know how you got approval and what dr did yours. thank you so much for your help. you can also email me at jlfllbf@yahoo,com
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 11:19 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi Jen,

I had my RNY with Dr. Kamelgard and my DS revision with Dr. Greenbaum down in Willingboro. At the time I had Horizon Direct Access and they covered it 100%. I did have to redo the 6 month diet of monthly weigh-ins with the PCP (although they waived some of it due to my esophageal erosion), the psych eval, and the nutritional and pulmonary clearances.

For the psych eval I used Dr. Margie Nichols at the Institute for Personal Growth. She's in Highland Park and Jersey City. For the pulmonary, I was lucky, I used one of my PCP's partners. I had an upper GI locally in Hudson Radiology, and the nutritionist was Debra Brown-Grossman in Montclair. She wasn't very familiar with DS eating (none of them are) but you just nod, smile, and say yes.
Nannette
on 5/9/11 1:04 am - Toms River, NJ
Jen -- I announced this at Friday's OCWLS mtg, but I saw Dr Mitch Roslin in NYC on Friday, and he said I was a candidate for a revision to DS due to my enlarged pouch and stoma -- and that he would do it.

However, I just found out today that my employer's insurance excludes bariatric surgery altogether.  Give me a call at work to talk.....

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

heathercross
on 5/9/11 10:53 am - New York, NY
Nanette:

Mitchell Roslin is the best.  Ask his staff on advice how to appeal the employer exclusion.  They are smart folks.

Heather
Phyllis C.
on 5/9/11 11:30 pm
Don't do it to yourself.  Since you already have a malabsorptive surgery, why don't you look into the DS.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

heathercross
on 5/15/11 8:14 am - New York, NY
Phyllis:

Was the "dont do it to yourself" comment for me?  Im not about to have a DS.  I am not interested in such a sever surgery.  I wasnt interested in it 10 yrs ago and I am not interested in it now, especially a surgery that allows you to continue to eat sweets and things like fried butter.

Heather
Most Active