BOB - Band over Bypass approved - Surgery June 23rd

Michelle F.
on 5/9/11 11:46 pm
That's funny.  Personally I agree with Aetna, I think Lenox Hill is a **** hospital compared to NYU.  Roslin is definitely a ****y SOB but he does know what he's doing.  Although I have to say, I do have to say, I miss Fielding.  I know a lot of people don't like him but I loved him.  He would hug and kiss me when I walked in the office...I actually felt very disloyal the first time I saw Roslin and I told him that.  But I know that Roslin was the best choice for a revision surgeon.
heathercross
on 5/15/11 8:13 am - New York, NY
You'll love Lenox Hill. I live 5 blks away, the staff is amazing and its one of manhattan's best. I have both my plastic surgeries there too!  Im not feeling NYU based on their "nurse" issues last year.
Michelle F.
on 5/9/11 4:03 am
Heather,

I wish you luck with your surgery, but you should know that I used NYU...Dr. Fielding who is IMO the best band surgeon in the world, better than Dr. Kurian, in my opinion, and I happen to love Dr. Kurian. The NYU group makes more money on the band than all other WLS combined, not to mention Dr. Fielding himself is banded. So are Gaspar his NP and Anne his PA, however both had band slips and needed to be re-banded. 

I had 2 band slips and a dilated esophagus and chose to revise to the sleeve.  After 10 months, my band decided to go psycho and the fills/unfills started.  I spent 2 more years choking on solid food and living on soup and sashimi because that's all that wouldn't make me throw up.  I lost 112 pounds in those first 10 months but once the fluid came out of my band more than 40 pounds came back on, not because I could eat healthy solid food but because I could eat junk food again.

Dr. Fielding wanted to replace my band although he said he would revise me to the sleeve if that was what I wanted.  However he fully admitted he had never revised a band to a sleeve before which I was not comfortable with.    It's been 10 weeks and I still have problems with my esophagus, although it is finally starting to heal with the help of twice a day Prevacid. 

I was the most pro-band person there was but I cannot tell you what a relief it is to not have that pressure on my chest and throat anymore.  Again, I wish you luck with whatever you choose, no one WLS is right for everyone and if you choose to be banded I pray you have no issues or complications.  I never thought I would have them but sadly I did.

heathercross
on 5/9/11 10:52 am - New York, NY
I see you went to Mitchell.  I love Dr Roslin.  Lenox Hill bread some good dtrs with Roslin, Kurian and Leitman.  Im not a fan of "Dr Fielding" but I REALLY appreciate your band comments.  I need to hear then.  I heard all the problems with RNY and I never had 1 problem EVER so maybe Im due.  I never dumped, threw up (unless by choice), had issues with any food and lost 100lbs in 6 mos.  I also, for the last yr, never had restriction.  I know bands are problematic but so is putting on all the weight.
Hislady
on 5/7/11 9:40 am - Vancouver, WA
You should give a shout out on the band forum, there are several folks over there that have had BOB.
heathercross
on 5/8/11 1:47 am - New York, NY
Thanks. I will.

Heather
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 10:19 am - Bayonne, NJ
I was anemic a few years post-RNY, and since revising to the DS, I don't have that problem. I take proferrin. My full rny to ds reversal, open, with removal of the gall bladder & appendix, took about 4.5 - 5 hrs.

Best of luck to you with the band over bypass. There's a lady who posts here sometimes, but she's often on the main board, and she has done well with it.

For me, it wouldn't have worked. I need the malabsorption more than the restriction. I had restriction post-rny due to the extra ring on the stoma, so that wasn't my issue, but I have a truly crappy metabolism.
heathercross
on 5/8/11 1:49 am - New York, NY
Thanks I will.  My stoma is fully intact and I am still malaborbing (is that the right word).  I know that because Im reminded of it daily when I use the bathroom, lol.  Plus, still dump, so, I know my surgery still works to a certain extent minus the very, very large (close to pre-surgery) stomach size.
sweir100
on 5/18/11 3:38 am
Hi Heather, I am writing because I have read all the posts and think you need some positive reinforcement about your choice for a band.  I am new to the BOB.  I had my surgery on 4/12/11.  Every surgery has risks and complications can occur with any wls but if you read the info out there the band is far less scary in my opinion that the ds.  The one good thing about the band is that if you have problems they can go in and quickly remove the band.  There is not a qick fix for a bad ds.  I am 5 wks post op with my new band and have not had any problems!  I am hoping that this is the case after my 1st fill next week.  I can only speak from my experience but my band keeps me full all the time so that I don't want to eat.  I am wondering why I need a fill so soon when I am only eating a quarter to half cup of food at a time but will trust my surgeon.  I am down 35 lbs and would like to take off about a hundred more!  If you want any specifics on the band and what its like post op let me know. 
heathercross
on 5/22/11 4:59 am - New York, NY

Yes, I do need some positive reinforcement especially after the conversation I just had with both my Mom & Sister.  My mom is dead set against it and my sister is indifferent which ****** me off just as much or more.  My sister, the nurse, who sees everything as black & white and no gray, still doesn't see obesity as a surgery and the first thing she says to me is, "what will you do in 5 yrs when you regain weight".  My mom is more scared about complications.  I think if they can guarantee its done lap, she is fine, her concerns are more about if they open me up to do the band and if I have to spend time in the hospital as hospitals are breeding grounds for infections.  I understand that.  She also feels this surgery, over the RNY, is much more rigid and I won’t be able to follow the guidelines.  Right now, I'm just really really low.

Most Active