BOB - Band over Bypass approved - Surgery June 23rd

heathercross
on 5/6/11 7:49 am - New York, NY
Would like to connect with some BOB patients.  I am 40, no health issues, looking to get banded.  Had RNY in Aug of 2002, went from 305 to 175 and Im now at 246.  I'm too scared to do a full revision and interested in Band. Saw Roslin in NYC who wanted to revise, saw Kurian in NYC who suggested I do band as its not as complicated. A full revision is an 8hr surgery and complication rate is high 10-20%.  Would like to chat with any of you who've done Band after Bypass to see what life is like now.

Heather
louisec
on 5/6/11 8:08 am - Orange County, CA
I am finally approved after fighting for 4 yrs.(hmo denied several time and 2 times denied by state hmo dep. even with Obesity Law). I swiched to my company PPO..approved in 4 days for BOB. I was offerd sooner but took June 1st. I just want my restriction restored.
I have had several health issues that make doing anything more invasive undesirable....stay in touch.
Louise C
"that's what she said................"
Micheal G. Scott
(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 4:05 pm
By a full revision, do you mean a reversal? I had gastric bypass to duodenal switch revision. It took 2.5 hours plus an extra hour to clean up adhesions and repair a hernia.
heathercross
on 5/7/11 8:00 am - New York, NY
When I saif full revision I meant revising my RNY, but, its an 8-10 hours.  Also, DS is too drastic and Im not doing that.  Plus, I an anemic.  I just need restriction and mt stoma is still intact and the connection is fine so Im ok with the BOB.
Band to DS
on 5/7/11 9:01 am, edited 2/4/12 3:03 am

Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

heathercross
on 5/8/11 1:47 am - New York, NY
Hi Shelli:

I appreciate your email.  Nothing is full proof, just as my RNY was not.  I have many friends who had a gastric bypass and they cannot eat certain things either.  I believe that a good surgeon can alleviate those issues and I have chosen probably one of the best in the US if not the world (Dr. Marina Kurian, Al Roker's doctor).  Unfortunately, there are far too many surgeons trying to  make a buck and praying on people like you and me. 

I now attend a Band support group and I do hear the good and the band, i hear far more good than bad, maybe because my surgeon is world reknown maybe bc those having problems dont speak out. I dont know. 

Thanks again and I plan to do more homework and if it doesnt work for me, I tried and Ill get it removed.

Heather
Zee Starrlite
on 5/9/11 12:51 am
Heather, I know you only want to know from ppl who have had the BOB - you can bypass this, but for some reason I am really annoyed.

You can have the best doc and still the Band can fail you as it did me.  I love Dr. Kurian  - she did take care of me some years back.

The thing about NYU is that they are pro, pro, pro Band.  No matter what your problem, we can fix you with a band, we can fix your problem with the band with a new band.  We can respositon your band and fix your hiatal hernia making your band better.  We can still fill you with a esophageal dilation because well that is how the esophagus gets to looking  after some time.  Let's switch you one of the new lower pressure bands if your esophagus is sensitive.  Are you kidding me or something.  These are great surgeons - excellent surgeons BUT I for the life of me can't figure out why they are putting all of their eggs in one basket and most of all taking the chance on our lives.  The Band does an immense amount of damage to our esophagus long term.  I guess that is okay if one does not need their esophagus.

Oh man, it makes me want to puke.  Scroll down a few.  There is a nice young woman whose father and brother are the bariatric surgeons from "Big Medicine".  NYU did her revision to an AP Band - see how happy she is.

Have you seen Al Roker lately?  I used to see him at least once time per week up until last summer as his kid goes to school where I work  (like him, but he truly is short and stout. could be he has dieted some weight off again).  Dr. Roslin worked on that case too! 

I am beginning to hate the band and its false promises.

I truly wish you well.

Best

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

heathercross
on 5/9/11 10:48 am - New York, NY
Hi.  I dont disagree with you. I dont think NYU is pro-band, I think they are a "f-ing" factory, like an assembly plant.  I'd never go there if it werent for Kurian.  Roslin was my 1st choice however, my Aetna policy states I can only go to a Bariatric Center of Excellance, so, Lenox Hill is out and that is how I ended up back with Kurian. 

I know what you are saying, but, Roslin is the one who I spoke to and suggested the band.  I then chose Kurian so they didnt "talk me into it" per se.

As for Al Roker, he lives 2 blks from me.  I think he looks skinnier than he has in years.

Heather
Michelle F.
on 5/9/11 11:05 pm
On May 9, 2011 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:
Hi.  I dont disagree with you. I dont think NYU is pro-band, I think they are a "f-ing" factory, like an assembly plant.  I'd never go there if it werent for Kurian.  Roslin was my 1st choice however, my Aetna policy states I can only go to a Bariatric Center of Excellance, so, Lenox Hill is out and that is how I ended up back with Kurian. 

I know what you are saying, but, Roslin is the one who I spoke to and suggested the band.  I then chose Kurian so they didnt "talk me into it" per se.

As for Al Roker, he lives 2 blks from me.  I think he looks skinnier than he has in years.

Heather
Heather, I have Federal BCBS and they won't cover WLS unless it is performed at a Bariatric Center of Excellance, which Lennox Hill is.  Call them back again, that is the only reason I was able to use Dr. Roslin and Lennox Hill, because they WERE a Bariatric Center of Excellance!

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need anything. 

heathercross
on 5/9/11 11:40 pm - New York, NY
Michelle:

HAHAHHAHAHAHA....I had to laugh when I read your post.  The REASON my surgery was denied is becuase Aetna does not regnoize Lenox Hill as a Bariatric Center of Excellance.  LOL.  Gina and I fought it over a month.  Every insurance company is different.  I fought, I lost.   I even fought the wording in my rider. I fought, I lost I picked a new surgeon.   I had my initial surgery done at Lenox Hill, I live 2 blks away, I had both of my plastic surgeries done at Lenox Hill, I worship that ****y, red-headed son of a b____H!  Lol.  

Most Active