Port Pain???

jenrich
on 5/4/11 5:26 pm - Bridgeport, TX
I am currently awaiting approval from the insurance company for a revision from the band to bypass and was just wondering for those of you that have had the band removed was the removal painful at the site where the port is? I was just curious because sometimes it hurts now like the muscle is trying to pull away from my skin lol I know its not really but I am just curious as to what to expect after surgery?

~Jennie~

USAF Wife
on 5/5/11 12:10 am
For my sleeve revision, the most painful part of my recovery was the pain from where they removed my port. Even at almost 2 years out, I still have some stabbing pain in that area if I move in certain positions. I can feeling a "pop" if I bend at the waist "just right". I did have a port that had a major flip and migrated port and hoards of scar tissue and adhesions had formed around my port so it was extensive damage to that part of my body.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

abandster
on 5/5/11 3:41 am

I had my port removed TWICE.  My original banding surgery wasn't as bad on me as the surgery the last time the port was removed.

The first time I had the port removed, I had it done in the doctor's office.  No big deal.  Numbed me up, made a small slit and pulled it out.  I had a port infection so it had to stay out for a while and then was put back in on the other side of my body.

The second time it was done as outpatient surgery.  I had something that nobody had seen...my tubing was coming out of the COMPLETELY HEALED incision over my belly button.  I have NO idea why, nor do any doctors.  Anyway, the port was removed, the exposed tubing was cleaned and returned but now I'm "portless" again.

I was 5 years younger when I had my original surgery.  The one from last year really took its toll on me.  But, as with everything, everybody is different.  Like, how many people do you know who've had a port taken out in the doctor's office?  And I had virtually no pain from that.

Go figure!!

shellb58
on 5/5/11 9:47 am - WA
I just had my band removed on Tues. and a proximal bypass done, The port area feels fine its where they (I believe) pulled my gall bladder out on the right side. its sore if I bend down. Good luck!
Jean
ckb70
on 5/6/11 3:37 am - Morrisville, PA
I had my revision from the band to the sleeve on April 12th.  That area is where they put the drain too and I did not have any pain issue in that area. 

I have to say what a relief it is not to have that awful port now I can wear pants with a band! 

Good luck on your approval!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
missnanajean
on 5/6/11 11:32 am - Friendswood, TX
Yes it was the worst area of disconfort where they took the port out along my waist line. It felt like a pulled muscle so got relief from the heating pad.It took about 3 weeks for it to feel better. Once the stitches were dissolved I haven't had anymore pain there. It actually hurt less than the original lapband surgery.  I had Band to RNY. Only regret is I didn't do the RNY first. Good Luck!
  Miss  Jean   
SharByTheSea
on 5/8/11 1:12 am
Happy Mother's Day To All....
I totally agree with Miss Jean...I am 12 days post-op, Band to RNY, and I feel like something is pulling where my port was!  Not pain, but discomfort, especially when I move side way, lift my arms or cough!   The heating pad has helped, and each day that goes by I feel less discomfort.
I think we all feel the same way....wish we had done the RNY first!
I had my Band surgery in 2004, began having problems in 2008, and finally made the decision for revision a few months ago....It was a difficult decision as I am 69 years old and was not sure I wanted to put myself thru all that comes with major surgery!   SOOOOO glad I did!
Love & Healing Light
Shar

LapBand: 10/2004
RealizeBand: 02/2009
Revision: LapBand/RNY 04/26/2011
Most Active