Question on insurance "1 WLS per lifetime" Clause

Linda A.
on 4/29/11 6:33 am - Byhalia, MS
VSG on 01/19/12
My dr wants to do a revision from lap band to either sleeve or bypass. I have a different insurance now than I did when I was approved for my band. So that restriction would  not apply right?
TamaraL
on 4/29/11 10:33 am
if your new insurance says 1 WLS per lifetime then they will deny because you already have the band.  You can try to appeal. 

MARIA F.
on 4/29/11 10:37 am - Athens, GA

It will probabaly be denied but I would appeal it. May not do any good, but at leat try. I don't think it's fair since they didn't pay for the first one, but the way it is written "one wls per lifetime" pretty much has you screwed.

And I truely beleive that so many insurance companies are now adding the "one wls per lifetime" stipulation b/c of all of the revisions they were having to do b/d of failed bands!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

alaneanow
on 4/29/11 1:34 pm - houston, TX
hi there... i am 36, and i got the lap band thru blu cross blue shield thru my work 31/2 yrs ago. i did lose about 60 pounds that first 2 years, howerver i gained allback. ia now on medicare and just today went to utmb for consultation for revision, and i think i recieved good news.. they told me i needed moreco- mobidties, but if my band has slipped, i will be a canadite for revision... if not, then , sleep apnea will officiate the revision!!!! 
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 2:27 am - San Jose, CA
One weight loss surgery per lifetime restrictions mean EXACTLY that - and it doesn't matter who paid for your first one - the insurance contract EXCLUDES paying for revisions.  You might get removal of the crap band covered, but not revision to a new surgery or replacement of the old band.

This is another reason why I and other DSers are so adamant about spreading information about the LONG TERM EFFICACY of the various surgeries, and to warn people to THINK TWICE, CUT ONCE!  BECAUSE YOU MAY NOT GET A SECOND CHANCE TO GET THE RIGHT SURGERY.
MsBatt
on 4/30/11 1:32 pm
Do you know if Medicare has this ignorant clause?
(deactivated member)
on 5/1/11 2:19 am - San Jose, CA
AFAIK, not yet.  With emphasis on YET.
Bobbie D.
on 5/1/11 4:51 am
I have had the same insurance for 21 years through my husband's employer. I had VBG in 2000 and at that time there was no limit to bariatric surgery, it was just stated that it had to be medically necessary.

The policy was modified in 2002 to state one bariatric surgery only. I had my revision in Sept of 2010 and was approved in 4 days. No appeal required.

I wish you the best of luck and know personally that it can be done.

Most Active