Lapband to VSG to Gastric Bypass

Karin @)-;-'--
on 4/28/11 10:16 pm - Melbourne, Australia

Hello everyone,

Short story version is lapband in 2001 (slipped band twice)  revised in 2007 to VSG (now high pressure sleeve & severe vomitting & reflux) and now facing RNY.

I've seen my surgeon today and after much testing it has come to light that I have a high pressure sleeve causing me dreadful reflux and that is why I vomit on a daily basis when I try and keep solid food down.  This has been ongoing for a very long time and I have had gastroscopic dialations all to no avai. So today the surgeon has said the only option left for me is to revise to an Gastric Bypass. 

I'm terrified to say the least as I hear of all these scarey stories about dumping, diarrhea, flatulence and I'm scared.  My doctor says this is a rare occurrence but a Bypass will help solve the problem to lower the pressure in my sleeve.  From what I've learnt that high pressure in the sleeve runs a high risk of rupture of the staple line so Gastric Bypass sounds like the safer option for me.

Is there anyone else here who has had the sleeve and had to revise to a Gastric Bypass and if so can you please let me know of your experiences.  Surgery for me will be about 4 - 6 weeks away.

Cheers from Karin (in Oz)

LilySlim - (qEqi)

Stacey-71
on 4/29/11 4:38 am - OH
Oh Dear!!
I will say a little prayer for you! And I hope you breeze right through your revision, sounds like you have been through enough! Best of Luck to you.
MsBatt
on 4/30/11 1:34 pm
Well, I've learned something today---I'd never heard of a 'high-pressure Sleeve' before. Have they told you what causes this?
Most Active