Revision from RNY to sleeve or DS?

Linda_S
on 4/26/11 6:21 am - Eugene, OR
I had an RNY in July 2007.  I didn't lose as much as I would have liked, but the weight loss was acceptable.  At least I felt healthier and livelier and life was good.  About a year ago I began to have severe drops in blood sugar.  Sometimes it gets down into the 20s -- near life-threatening range.  I'm thinking of calling my surgeon and seeing if I can be re-routed to include my duodenum in my digestive tract so that I might better process sugars.  I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!  Have any of you been this route? 

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 9:46 am, edited 4/26/11 9:47 am
Linda_S
on 4/26/11 10:27 am - Eugene, OR
Wow - when did we go from an information site to being a doctor advertising/cheerleading section?  OHSU (where my surgeon is located) is a prominent research institution and, if my surgeon doesn't have experience in this (which he most likely does, as they didn't bat an eye when I called today), I know his colleagues do.  Dr. Wolfe and Dr. Deveney have performed some really complex revisions of which I have been made aware through others in my support groups.  

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll stay close to home.

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 12:09 pm
Linda_S
on 4/26/11 12:12 pm, edited 4/26/11 3:30 pm - Eugene, OR
nuf said

Linda_S
on 4/26/11 12:17 pm - Eugene, OR
Forgot to mention that some surgeons are actually busy doing surgery and caring for their patients instead of updating their webpages.  Not everyone puts their specialty info up on the web.  They tell you their stats when you go to their office.

enlarged_marge
on 4/26/11 11:48 am - AZ
With those blood sugar problems, I'd be seeking out a dietitian and an endocrinologist before a WLS revision, but that's just me. Hope it works out for you!
Linda_S
on 4/26/11 12:15 pm - Eugene, OR
Thanks Marge - I forgot to mention that I have done what you suggested.  After my last run of tests and diet tracking/blood sugar monitoring, my endocrinologist told me there is nothing he can do for me except perhaps prescribe octreotide, a medication that has side effects that sound worse than my actual symptoms.  I don't think I want to go down that road.

Renfairewench
on 4/27/11 12:26 am
When I had my RNY I had terrible reactive hypoglycemia. Sometimes if I raised my arms my BP would drop out and I would nearly pass out. I don't have Reactive hypoglycemia now, but if I don't eat frequently I do have low blood sugar dropouts. I usually get really shakey and grumpy and then will remember when I ate last.

I had a revision in 2009 from RNY to DS, but I did have a lot of post op complications. Mostly I revised due to weight gain, but other things as well such as the RH and dumping. Now I don't "dump" but if I eat something with sugar my intestines will explode in watery poos much like when I had my RNY, the only difference now is that my heart doesn't race, I don't get sweaty and I don't feel like I have the 45 minute or more flu.

Maddie.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Linda_S
on 4/27/11 1:35 am - Eugene, OR
Thanks.  I am restricted to a life of protein and vegetables.  A few fruits are okay (mostly berries), the rest make my sugar go nuts too.  I rarely have normal BMs - and I actually prefer the basic sweating and dizziness to all of a sudden realizing that I'm horribly confused (indication your sugar is in the tank).  I hope the day doesn't come that I am so confused I can't realize that I'm needing sugar.  It can be very frightening. 

Most Active