Failed lap band - need guidance please

Band to DS
on 4/24/11 12:10 pm, edited 2/4/12 2:49 am

Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Holly O.
on 4/25/11 1:26 am - FL
Shelli,

I had the lapband Nov. 2/06.initially lost 30 lbs.  I am 5'2....started at 220 lbs.  now I am up to 235 lbs.  Had fills, unfills, tweeks, sliming, throwing up!!  I too felt like failure.

My insurance has approved my consult visit with the surgeon.......this Thursday evening I have to attend a2 hour seminar.  This is manditory before I can have my first consult.  When I had my surgery in 2006 Tricare Prime did not cover the lapband.......so I paid cash.  But Tricare would of paid for RNY.  I don't anticipate any problems.  I will keep you posted over the next couple of weeks......now that I am starting the process all over.  Live and learn butplease don't think of yourself as a failure.  The lapband isn't for everyone.   I am looking to the seminar because this surgeon does several different procedures.............I never had that option in 2006 because that surgeon only did the lapband.  I didn't have enough info......but this time I am doing my homework!!
   Holly                                      
Hislady
on 4/25/11 9:31 am - Vancouver, WA
Many bandsters revise to the VSG (sleeve) very successfully, you might want to go visit their forum, they are very nice folks over there. Requirements just kinda depend on the ins. company, I'm sure they vary. The best place to start is a visit with your surgeon and go from there. A surgeon recently told me 20% of people are unable to get a steady restriction level and never do. Their only option is revision.Good luck to you!
September903
on 4/25/11 9:52 am
Hi. I got a band in 1998 when they were experimental and did not have ports. Initially I lost 50lbs and kept it off for about 6 years, now I am back to my starting weight of 235. I was approved by my insurance for a corrective procedure and on Friday of this week I am scheduled for VSG (sleeve) surgery. One reason the survey was approved is because of a problem with reflux that has developed since the band was put on. Check and see if you are having symptoms that your insurance will cover. Good luck! Killy
pmcallister_1112
on 4/25/11 12:38 pm - Belle Glade, FL
Hi,
I had the byatric by pass surgery in 2001. I had losted 150 pounds. In the last year, I notice the weight gain increasing rapidly. I have had so many stomach pain and my dooctor sent me to get an endo where a camera is put down inside you and found out that I have an eroison where I had the bypass at and they said I need to see a gastric bypass surgery. My primary doctor has scheduled me to see Dr. Fred Simon. I hope I can get this resolved and revisit to help me lose the weight back. 
ckb70
on 4/25/11 10:07 pm - Morrisville, PA
I just had a revision from he band to the sleeve on April 12th.  I did not have any problems with getting an approval...BCBC of NJ.  My original surgeon retired and I went to see a new one.  He sent me to have a upper GI with Barium and it showed that I had a blockage.  He took out all of the fluid from my band and that was one of the best things!  I was able to eat regular food and not have to throw it up!  I know you understand what a horrible feeling it is not to be able to swallow your own spit. 

My port area always was sore and I could not wear pants with a band because of the pain it caused. 

I will tell you that the insurance company wanted to see my medical records and make sure that I was compliant with the band requirements...doctor's and nut appts. 

I would say to get back on track with you doctor and get that ball rolling!

I'm down 25 pounds already and I thank God that I was given a second chance!  I'm going to rock my sleeve for all I can!

Now it's your turn stay strong and get started!  Let me know if I can help you! 

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/26/11 8:43 am - Tuvalu

We are just setting upi the board, but it you could come over and post this story, there are many who might benefit from it:

www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/
(deactivated member)
on 4/25/11 10:25 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
You did not fail the band. The band failed you because it is a piece of crap and the suffering you have endured as you have described above is how a lot of banded people are suffering as well. Healthy food is very painful to eat.

I've been able to keep my weight at roughly the same place due to diet pills, and I get on the scale every morning, not to lose weight, but to keep it from going up.
USAF Wife
on 4/26/11 10:48 pm
Shelli, the band sucks, bottomline! ! ! I revised almost 2 years ago to VSG, and it was the best damn thing I ever did. I lost all my EW plus some, and maintained for a year until pregnancy. I have zero food intolerances, food never gets stuck, I eat a wide variety of nutrient/protein dense foods, and absolutely love life post-op.

Visit the VSG forum, the failed band group for insight and more personal stories. Please know you are not alone.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Band to DS
on 4/27/11 1:12 pm, edited 2/4/12 2:49 am

Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Most Active