RNY or lapband?

Jaysgurl426
on 4/24/11 9:50 am
I too have the band and am in the process of getting it removed and getting RNY. I had mine placed June 09. It has been almost 2 years of hell. I've been unfilled for almost a year and a half yet I have severe restriction (they can't tell me why). Constant GeRD and vomiting. I've followed the rules to a "T". with chewing, no drinks before/during/after.I wait 5 minutes in between bites (gotta love reheating your food 5x in one meal!!)  I've been working with my personal trainer for a year now. I have constant left upper quad pain that radiates through to my back.It magnifies x 100 when I eat. I'm limited to full liquids. Can't tolerate much else, even chewing 50+times until food disintegrates in my mouth.  I've had every test done and supposedly there is no slippage or erosion. I originally chose lap band since it was less invasive, not malabsorptive. Ironic thing is, I've known plenty of friends/coworkers who have since had other WLS done and they have no complications. Can tolerate food (besides high sugar/carbs) No pain, no daily vomiting. My doctor just told me that some bodies just don't do well with the band. I never thought it would be me since I've worked so hard to make this work. I wish everyone else the best of luck with their band or their revisions.
Holly O.
on 4/25/11 1:43 am - FL
Please, please do your homework!!!!  I had the lapband Nov.2/06 and am currently going through the process of having a revision to RNY.  Unfortunately the surgeon I had back in 2006 only offered the band so of course he was pushing it.  At that time Tricare Prime ddn't cover the "lapband" because it was still experimental but they would of approved RNY.

This Thursday I will attend  a 2 hr. seminar to listen to my new surgeon explain all of the different choices he performs.  Then his office will schedule my first consult.  The band isn't for everyone.........I initially lost 30 lbs. kept it off for a year.  Had some saline removed............had some put back in......tke some out...........endless cycle..........never did find that "sweet spot" they spoke of. Tired ofsliming.......so embarrasing, choking, then puking!!  Quite simply that isn't living to me.    I am 5'2 and started out at 220 lbs. now 4 1/2 yrs. later...........240 lbs.  So discouraging.  Called this surgeon last week to get some fill out only to find out he doesn't accept my inurance anymore!!  Great..............so glad I have a new surgeon in Tampa, FL that does fantatic work.  So far I have had approval for several visits.  Will be so relieved to get this lapband out of me~!

Please, please do your homework...........sure wish I would of.  But I am gettng a2nd chance and I am sograteful!!!!
   Holly                                      
aanmarie
on 4/25/11 7:17 am - NY
I hated the band.It never worked right.Lost 60lbs gained back 80 lbs.Please don't go with the band.I was just revised to RNY and so far so good.
Most Active