VSG from band?

Stacey-71
on 4/19/11 12:59 am - OH
Well, I have an app. with my surgeon on the 28th of this month. But I have having my lapband removed due to complications and a miserable 3yr journey with it! But my surgeon had originially talked to me about revising to RNY! I have done sooo much research and have been interested in the VSG. I also called the bariatric coordinator at my surgeon's office and found out my surg. does do the VSG! They just started doing them! So now I just have to decide, and again, I have not spoke with the doc yet on VSG, but ultimately I need to decide on a revision surgery.
I need some help!
I initially lost weight with the band, until it slipped 7 mns out that is. Then it was just misery trying to get the "sweep spot" with fill and unfills and fills and ..... you know the drill. I do HATE the whole stoma thing with the band! It is sooo unpredictable! One day you can eat and take your meds, and then next day you can't even swallow spit! ugh!
I also have a huge fear of failing again with another WLS! I just want to pick the right surgery!
my concerns with RNY are of course the whole re-routing thing, which leads to malabsorption of your vita's, etc. I also sort of wanted to keep the option of eating an occasional sweet at birthdays, etc., *or maybe that the sugar addict in me* I do want to keep my ability to make the right food choices and not "eliminate" a food choice forever. I have taken some steps to put a support team in place recently and meet with a group of woman once a week who all are trying to lose weight and make better food choices and this does help empower me!  I have app. 100-110 pounds to lose.  Is that even possible with VSG? Is it something you have to be "super vigilant" about regarding your foods with VSG? I guess I'm so used to the band, where you're either too lose and have to "diet" to lose anything or too tight that you cannot eat "normal" healthy foods. Do you deal with the whole "stuck" issues that bandsters do? I have reflux, but I take a PPI, especially with having this band! Does VSG cause worsening heartburn? Can you eat "normal" foods with VSG?, like meat! and broccoli! and apples! I so miss FOOD!!
Anyway, please give me some some insight revision folks!! PLEASE!
Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 6:04 am
I am right there with you.  I had my band on 3/08 and over the last 7 months it has gotten tighter and tighter on it's own. I am completely unfilled now and I still have issues where I am having to skip meals and go with liquids only because that is all I can get down.   For the past month to month and a half I have had to sleep sitting up, it at all, because I wake up choking  on acid.   Living with a slipped band is MISERABLE.

I've done my research with the VSG and it looks to be a dream compared to living with the band. I can't wait to be able to eat things like fruits and veggies again.  I am so sick of slider foods.  I am a bit conserned about the level of GERD that I see some people with the VSG having, but most of them that do have the GERD are keeping it under control with the PPIs.  So if you CAN take a PPI then I say go for it.

I am scheduled to get the band out and the sleeve in on 4/25.  I can't wait, I need some relief.
Hislady
on 4/19/11 7:40 am - Vancouver, WA
You should post this on the VSG board, they are a very nice bunch and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Myself I also regret ever having the band, finally had mine emptied just couldn't stand the nonsense it puts us thru! Never felt better, I'd rather be fat and happy than fat and miserable! So do try the VSG board and I'm sure they will help you out. There are many many band to VSG folks over there!
Stacey-71
on 4/19/11 9:52 pm - OH

Thanks guys! I have been asking questions all over town! It sure is a big decision and I am so determined to get all the information I can before meeting with my surgeon again on the 28th of this month. I am currently already scheduled to undergo revision surgery to RNY on 05/23/11, but now I am re-thinking RNY and leaning towards VGS so I am trying to soak up all the info I can on both procedures and weight out my options! *pun intended*!!
_rebecca
on 4/20/11 9:43 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I had the band for 3 and a half miserable years.  It leaked, slipped, and broke apart in my body. Now I have the sleeve and I LOVE it!  I have lost 50 pounds and I am almost four months out.  I have restriction and I can eat anything I want. The first couple of weeks are rough due to the liquid diet, but other than that, my sleeve has been great!  I follow the rules of protein first and exercising.  I don't really have the drive to eat like I used to with the grehelin reduced.  It is so great to have restriction all the time and not on occasion like I did with the band.  The sleeve is great!  One of the best decisions of my life!!!!  I have some pics on my profile of my progress.  Good luck~
Most Active