Don't order from Bariatric Eating

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 8:22 am - Bayonne, NJ
Don't support BariatricEating.com. The owner, Susan Maria Leach, had this to say about revision patients:

"but bad things happen to people who do not respect what they have done to their bodies. We didn't have respect for our bodies before surgery and look where that got us. Revisions? Please...there are too many deserving people standing in line for their first opportunity."

Uh, what a twit. Who is she to decide who should and shouldn't have a revision?  She has spent a lot of time slamming Melting Mama and others, and if you search for posts about Bariatric Eating and Susan Maria, you'll see that her customer service is less than stellar.

Well, all I can say is that karma is a ***** She likes to write her books, lecture people, and hold herself up as the RNY poster child, but in actuality she's experienced quite a bit of regain. After seeing her this past weekend in NYC, where she didn't allow herself to be photographed at the conference, all I can say is that she looks like she'd qualify for a revision based on weight alone. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 9:00 am
She sounds like a nasty ***** I don't believe anyone has ever failed a RNY. The very definition of surgical failure is when the surgery fails you, as is the case with nasty, ineffective procedures such as RNY.
airbender
on 4/16/11 9:54 am
yes what comes around goes around, firm believer in that.  life is not that clear cut, she is acting exactly like those who said she should not have the surgery in the first place, now she is judging people who has revision, she is no better than them, she should keep her opinions to herself, cause one day she may be on the fast track to revision
lauralisi
on 4/16/11 11:00 am - Dona Ana, NM
Thank you for the info.  She misses the point.  If those "deserving people" were given full disclosure of their wls options before their first surgery, the need for revisions would be drastically reduced. I will not do business with her. 

Jody W.
on 4/16/11 11:32 am - Windsor, CT
This is a bit off topic... but I noticed that all 3 of you have had the DS.  From what I understand this is the best  surgery out of the choices... I live in the state of CT and there is no one in the state that actually performs this surgery.... I am going to an informational session in NYC on May 3rd to get some information on their program.... but can you give me your stories how you are doing and anything about the surgery that would be helpful?

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 11:47 am
Hi!  Come over and post on the DS board!  We have a LOT of band to DS revisions.

Also go here: www.dsfacts.com

I was 52 and could have had RNY paid for 100% right down the road from my house but after researching the DS I self-paid and flew thousands of miles to have it done.

I was also a revision from a horizontal gastroplasty ( old stapling procedure).  I lost my Type II diabetes, my high blood pressure, my high cholesterol, my sleep apnea and 149 #.

I had zero complications and feel like I am 25 most of the time!

HTH,
Michele
lauralisi
on 4/16/11 12:04 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Hi,
I had the RNY, and like so many RNYers, experienced a significant regain.   
To make a long story short, a kind woman from the DS board clued me in
during a "surgery war".  Because there are only a few surgeons in the world who can perform this surgery correctly, I had to travel far to have it done. Now doing great, feel great. and am grateful to the DSers who guided me through the best decision I ever made for my health! 
(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 2:32 am - Bayonne, NJ
NY would probably be closest for you. There aren't a lot of revision surgeons.

I revised from the RNY to the DS because I had a prolene mesh band around the stoma. It was to prevent the stoma from stretching, but it prevented me from eating good protein sources. I was almost 7 years out when I revised.

It's like night & day! I didn't get to goal with RNY, but I've surpassed that RNY goal with the DS. I can eat steak, chicken, and all the foods that previously wouldn't go down. I'm just sorry I didn't have the DS first.

Not every surgery is right for every person, but I'm confident I made the right choice this time. All the best to you.
airbender
on 4/17/11 7:41 am
On April 16, 2011 at 6:32 PM Pacific Time, Jody W. wrote:
This is a bit off topic... but I noticed that all 3 of you have had the DS.  From what I understand this is the best  surgery out of the choices... I live in the state of CT and there is no one in the state that actually performs this surgery.... I am going to an informational session in NYC on May 3rd to get some information on their program.... but can you give me your stories how you are doing and anything about the surgery that would be helpful?
There are no DS surgeons in CT, MA or RI, the closest is NYC, Dr Roslin is fantastic with band to DS surgery, you may want to consult with him, he has a wonderful reputation on the DS forum
TamaraL
on 4/22/11 10:43 am
Can I ask where you found that Susan Marie said this about revisions.  I would love to read the whole thing.

I visit her blog frequently and can see her saying this but have not been able to find it.

Most Active