Revision in two weeks need meal plan

Tammy R.
on 4/16/11 8:22 am - Covina, CA
Im having a revision in two weeks from lap band to rny.  How will my diet plan change?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 8:35 am
Is Naim doing your revision? I know he works at the same hospital as Dr Fobi, so I'm wondering if he's doing a RNY or fobi pouch.

DR fobi did my fobi pouch, which I just had revised to the DS. That's a nasty surgery, as well are the bands and RNY. So many RNYers end up being revised to the DS. Many on here went from the band to rny to ds. Please go to www.dsfacts.com and contact DR. Keshishian for this revision. Otherwise, you can at least have Naim give you a sleeve (VSG). Whatever you do, do no allow a surgeon to bypass your stomach.

Tammy R.
on 4/19/11 3:41 am - Covina, CA
You've got my attention, Naim wanted me to do a bypass to begin with but I was afraid. Now, 3 years later with little maintained weight loss, he said I was a good candidate for a revision. I know he does VSG, Bypass, and Band dont think he does DS. I gotta tell you I waffled a lot about my first surgery and thought I was pretty set but to hear that this is a nasty surgery I feel afraid all over. What if it doesnt work... what if I mess myself up for the rest of my life?
So fobi pouch( which is similar to the bypass, right?) didnt work for you? I will read more from the website you offered but can you tell me why you reccommend the DS above all else?

aanmarie
on 4/16/11 11:02 am - NY
I just had the RYN on 4-4-11.I originally had the lap band.The RNY is much different.I never felt restriction with the band but feel it with the RNY.The diet does not eliminate any food group.It does limit some groups.It's mainly low carb,low fat,low calorie.Don't let anyone sway you and your doctors surgery decision as everyone is different and not all people are good candidates for the band and the DS.Good luck.
Hislady
on 4/16/11 11:46 am - Vancouver, WA
Don't pay any attention to Yehuda he's a disgruntled FOBI person and thinks the DS is THE ONLY surgery. Your insurance probably won't cover it anyway so go with what YOU want there are many, many successful RNY people. Best of luck to you.
MsBatt
on 4/18/11 10:43 am
On April 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:
Don't pay any attention to Yehuda he's a disgruntled FOBI person and thinks the DS is THE ONLY surgery. Your insurance probably won't cover it anyway so go with what YOU want there are many, many successful RNY people. Best of luck to you.
The OP lives in CA---where pretty much ANYONE can get a DS, if they're willing to appeal. The insurance board in CA has overturned so many denials of the DS that they've pretty much stopped denying them.
Tammy R.
on 4/20/11 9:19 am - Covina, CA

why did you go with the DS?

MsBatt
on 4/20/11 10:32 am
Lots of reasons. One, the RNY scared the crap outta me. Remember, it was more than seven years ago that I was researching WLS, and nearly everything I read was about the RNY. I kept seeing people talk about dumping, and inconsistently---they would eat something and do just fine one day, then dump on it the next. I read about people barfing, getting things stuck, eating a very low-fat diet, eating 2-3 tablespoon MEALS, and despite that, regaining. No drinking with meals. Sipping constantly ALL DAY LONG in order to get in 64 ounces of fluids. Drinking multiple protein shakes a day. (Protein shakes make me GAG.) Being unable to take NSAIDs. (I've had severe arthritis since age 20---I can't function without NSAIDs.)

When I first heard about the DS, I heard mostly negatives. Then, I actually MET a couple of ladies who were 18 months post-DS---and they were happy as clams! Neither looked like she'd EVER had a weight problem, and after the support group meeting, they were going to Shoney's for HOT FUDGE CAKE!!!

I went home and started reading. Here was a form of WSL that wasn't going to ask me to give up the things I loved. Well-marbled meats, high-fat cheeses, nuts, BACON, drinking with meals, NSAIDs. And---WOW! It had the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, and the very best stats from resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol---both of which run in both sides of my family.

I cancelled the RNY I was scheduled for, made an appointment with a DS surgeon, and never looked back.
Tammy R.
on 4/19/11 3:45 am - Covina, CA
I have medicare and medical, I think it should cover most? Just feel like I dont have all the facts yet

MsBatt
on 4/20/11 10:34 am
Medicare does cover the DS. I assume MediCal does too.
Most Active