I need a revision

Mary Sellers
on 4/14/11 11:03 am - Pace, FL
Hello,
I have not been on OH in a long time. I had RNY on Sept 1 2006 and I started at 400 lbs and lost down to 220. I waited my two years and then became pregnant with my now 2 year old daughter Josalynn Gabriella. While pregnant with my daughter at 7 months I passed out after being on an elevator and was rushed to the ER. I have then had many times that i have passed out due to low blood and I have had to have 10 iron infusions since. The doctor said it was due to the WLS and having really heavy PMS. He said that I could have a procedure done and stop the cycle or deal be anemic all the time and having to do the infusions. Well that is not an option for me because i still may want to have more children. Anywho I am back up to 264 and I am trying to lose this weight but with me having PCOS in the past because of weight i am afraid it will be like last time. I have heard a surgery that can be done and i would beable to absorb my vit's.  I still needed to have lost 55 lbs before i got pregnant and never made it. i tried for a long time. I now need to lose a 100 lbs and i don't see how. Is there anyone out there that knows anything that can give me advice on what to do. Lord knows i am lost. I have even went to Bariatric of Alabama and tried their diet but nothing but fluid loss. I need some help.

Mary Dill
388/215/180

Heather S.
on 4/14/11 12:14 pm
Mary,

I can understand what you are going through.  After my original RNY in 2003 I suffered with HORRIBE anemia and have been having regular iron transfusion weekly and even monthly at times since surgery.  Recently my iron levels have improved and I do not need regular tansfusions, I've recommitted to taking iron (cause you know how it feels when your level runs low...lousy!)  RNY surgery was wonderful in 2003 I lost over 100lbs and had 2 children there after one in 2005 and the other in 2008.  However the weight crept back on 40lbs of it found its way back to me.  I felt terrible and it played with my emotions and self esteem.

Mary I felt like you too very very lost and a few months ago I popped up here on Obesity Help asking for help as I was considering getting the Band Over the Bypass I can't give you much feedback on the procedure since I will be banded in 2 weeks, but I know what you are saying about absorption.  Go back and talk with your doctor, and speak with a hematologist who knows your history and is willing to put you on a regular vitamin regime to bring your iron levels back.  See if you can even get with a nutritionist or dietician in your area who has worked in the field of Bariatrics who knows and understands the various nutritonal needs of Bariatric patients.  If you can't find one do a search here or do a search online.

Then talk with your previous surgeon or select a new one who is familiar with your absorption issues but who may be able to guide you on a revision that will be fit for you.  I know how yo ufeel its ver scary and you literally feel like you are at the end of your rope because you remember how good you felt before, but its possible that this can be turned around.

May take you a couple of weeks to line up stuff and get appointments to go in to the various doctors but I'm sure if you do your due dilligence it wil pay off.

Heather
Thank You,

Heather

Mary Sellers
on 4/14/11 12:32 pm - Pace, FL
Heather,
Thank you for the reply. I am going to call and try to make an appointment with the surgery group that did my surgery. The doctor that performed mine is no longer there. But the surgeon that did my gallbladder surgery is also a doctor in that practice and I am going to make an appointment with him since he also checked in on me when i had my WLS. I am also going to talk to my other doctor and see what he thinks about my anemia. I am good as of right now. I know when my blood is low. i start craving ice and when i do that I know its time to see the doctor again for more infusions. Anyways thank you and good luck.

Mary Dill
388/215/180

smileyjamie72
on 4/15/11 5:11 am - Palmer, AK

Mary,

If I were in your shoes, I would go see a surgeon who does ALL 4 WLS.  So you get current & correct information.  Keep on the iron, I take a generic of Cromagen Forte (called Multigen) twice daily.  I had RNY in 2002, and I was anemic prior to WLS.  Now, my iron labs are all in the 'normal' range!!!!

Take Care & good luck on your journey!!!!!
-Jamie

p.s. Research & stay INFORMED!!!!! and above all, POST!!!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 7:09 pm
Anemia can be corrected with revision to the duodenal switch.
Holly O.
on 4/16/11 1:29 am - FL
 I wish you the best!!
   Holly                                      
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 11:55 am
Yehuda,

We have a LOT of DSer's that need to have iron infusions.  Some DSer's just do not absorb the iron.

Just a FYI,
Michele
MsBatt
on 4/18/11 2:54 am
'Tater, I know you love your DS. I love mine, too, but it does NOT cure any- and everything. I still have an ingrown toenail, for instance. (*grin*)
MsBatt
on 4/18/11 2:56 am
The only sort of revision that could HOPE to give you back the ability to absorb vitamins normally would be a complete REVERSAL. And odds are VERY good that you'd regain all the weight yoou lost, plus some.

You should consider the VSG/Sleeve. No more intestinal bypass, but still some restriction on how much you can eat.
Jody W.
on 5/3/11 12:28 am - Windsor, CT
Hi Bama Girl...
I have nothing to offer you as far as advice with the surgery as I am in the revision process right now... I did want to tell you however I have a 6 year old daughter that will be 7 in November and soon after her birth I got the Merina inserted (IUD) because I thought that one day I may want to have more children.  After 5 years I got it switch out for a new one.... I just wanted to tell you this because I have not had a monthly since I got my IUD (over 5 years).  Some people think this is unhealthy... I think that it is heaven....
This may be one way to keep your options open for having more children while reducing or eliminating your monthly cycle....
Maybe hitting it from both sides will help... I got mine in for a $10.00 copay...
Good Luck! 

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

Most Active