Lapband to RNY

Holly O.
on 4/11/11 8:33 am - FL
Quick question.....does anyone know if they remove the lapband then do the RNY all in one surgery??  Please let me know.  Thanks!!
   Holly                                      
MsBatt
on 4/11/11 10:20 am, edited 4/11/11 10:21 am
The answer is...it depends. Most surgeons strive to do it all in one surgery, but sometimes the Band has caused too much damage and you need to heal between procedures.

While you still have a fairly intact stomach, please also research the possibility of being revised to the DS. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, and the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. The most difficult revision is from the RNY to the DS. The easiest is from the Band to the DS.
Holly O.
on 4/11/11 12:10 pm - FL
Unfortuntelymy insurance doesn't cover the DS.  Thanksfor the info!!
   Holly                                      
missnanajean
on 4/11/11 1:58 pm - Friendswood, TX
Yes I had the band removed and RNY lap in 1 surgery. I was 22 mo. post lapband when I had mine done. The pain was less than the lapband but the incision where the port was removed was uncomfortable for about a month til the surtures dissolved. Good Luck!
  Miss  Jean   
Holly O.
on 4/11/11 8:31 pm - FL
Thank you Miss Jean..........very helpful!!
   Holly                                      
MsBatt
on 4/12/11 1:30 am
If you want the DS, appeal. Since Medicare endorsed the DS, more and more insurance companies are covering it, or are approving it upon appeal. If you want help with an appeal, come on over to the DS board---we have a LOT of people there who fought and won.

It's a shame you don't live in CA---it's pretty much automatic there, the insurance board has overturned so many denials now.
Jody W.
on 4/12/11 3:15 am - Windsor, CT
Good Afternoon....
I actually have had my lapband in since 07/26/06 and recently went to a consultation with a different surgeon about a revision.  What he said to me is that it is easier to get an approval if they do it all in one surgery then if they do it separately.  He is doing an Endoscopy on me to see what the condition of my Stomach tissue is.  Then he can tell what the next move is....
Hope this helps you...
BTW
I have not posted here in a while and it is good to be back!
-Jody

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

Holly O.
on 4/12/11 7:43 am - FL
Hi Jody,

I got my lapband Nov. /2006  initially lost 30 lbs............then my mom passed away the following year.  I strugged with fills, some unfill, som more tweeks!!  Just wanted scream.......I am back up to 240 lb. so discouraging.  My triglicidere are high and my chleseterol.  Now I am on all these medicines.  That is why Ihad thesurgery in the first place.......to avoid this.  I attend a manditory orientation the 28t of April...thenI will be scheduled for my 1st consult .  I havnt had any mechanical problems with the band, just simply didn' work for me.  I hate slimming and food getting stuck...more slimming  Never really had an issue with throwing up.........so that is one positive.  Out of 5 years I threw up twice!!  I am sure my surgeon will want to dothe endoscopy on me too.........just makes sense.  That is the procedure where they put you out then put a scope down your stomach to have a looksey right??  Glad to meet you!!
   Holly                                      
terilynn112
on 4/12/11 3:41 am - maryland, NY
Mine was done as one surgery, and it was a pretty easy recovery. I've done well too... I've lost 54 pounds since surgery 1-11-11.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Holly O.
on 4/12/11 7:45 am - FL
Awesome work Teri!!  Did they scope you first like they did Jody in the earlier post??  I healed very well from the lapband surgery.........so it is nice to hea you have had a pretty easy recovery!!!
   Holly                                      
Most Active