would I be approved?

Shari S.
on 4/12/11 1:17 am - Loganville, GA
I had a GLB Apr 2010 and lost 50 lbs within the first 3 months.  I have been stuck since, gaining about 12 lbs and then going up/down 4-5 lbs.  I am SO discouraged.  My husband had a RNY a month after my banding and has lost 150+ lbs and is to his goal.  My brother had a RNY in Dec and has lost 95 lbs already.  I eat the same items/amount as my husband and track every bite I take.  Needless to say, I am SOOOO depressed!  It's like being on WW again... lose the first few months, then nothing.

I have 60 lbs to go, my blood sugar is staying around 150-160 (fasting) w/o meds, and I'm still having to take blood pressure medication and a diuretic for fluid retention.  I go back to my internist tomorrow and won't be surprised if he puts me back on meds for the diabetes.  The first few months after surgery I was so proud to not need any medication.  Now I feel like such a failure.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be approved for a revision, but wanted to hear if anyone else had a similar history and was successful in getting an approval.  Thanks!

Shari        
sosoclark
on 4/12/11 5:25 am - Sacramento, CA
Sorry your having issues. The only way you will be able to find out if you are able to get a revision is by going to your doctor and requesting some testing be done. Go and see your surgeon for additional assistance.

Sophia

Hislady
on 4/12/11 8:07 am - Vancouver, WA

Don't feel bad! There are soooooo many of us out here that have problems with our bands. I recently had mine totally emptied because I was just sick and tired of dealing with the difficulty eating. Never could get the right restriction level. The doc that unfilled me said they are finding about 20% of people can not tolerate the band, they just can't get restriciton to the correct level. So that's alot of people in the same boat as you are. It must be even more disappointing watching your hubby lose like crazy.
I hope you will be able to get a revision, the best thing would be to contact the insurance company and see what they say. I know I can't revise because my current insurance has an exclusion for all WLS. So I'm just gonna stay fat and happy, it's much bettter than living with this stupid band.

ckb70
on 4/15/11 2:05 am - Morrisville, PA
Start by making an appointment with your surgeon.  I just had my band removed on Tuesday and had the sleeve done at the same time. 

I had a quick approval from the insurance company.  The band failed me and I had to provide them with all of my doctors and nut appts so they could see that I was compliant. 

I was and now I have a second chance...good luck to you!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
aanmarie
on 4/16/11 11:12 am - NY
Hello
My insurance denied me at first then overturned thier denial on peer reveiw Thank GOD.The reason most insurance deny a revision is because they want a technical failure as a reason to be revised.They feel if you dont lose weight thats not a good enough reason.Unfortunetly the band fails more than not it''s not you.Hopefuly your insurance will cover it with no problem.Good luck to you.
Shari S.
on 4/18/11 1:28 am - Loganville, GA
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! I have scheduled another session w/ my surgeon for another fill. I guess my main concern is that I only have 50-60 lbs left to lose, so that's why I wondered if I'd qualify at all anymore.

Shari        
Most Active