Approved, Need Ur Thoughts Pleaze

zippyleah
on 4/8/11 5:35 am
Hi Everybody,
Just wanted to post and say that I have been approved for a revision. Now I have to be sure as to what revision to get done. I had the RNY back in Nov. 2005.
Anybody care to share about what you have decided and why??  My surgeon is Houston from Centennial in Nashville.

Thanxs Y'All
Zip...
lauralisi
on 4/8/11 12:58 pm - Dona Ana, NM
had the RNY in 1999 and, like so many other people, experienced a significant weight regain.  Then I had the ROSE. I wasted $8,000.00 plus travel expenses.  I felt no restriction whatsoever.  I did not lose one pound.

In fact, I continued to gain.  After gaining 40 more pounds of desperation, a kind stranger, Diana Cox, on OH suggested that I look into the DS.  So I did.

I finally got revised to the surgery with the best long-term results-the DS.  I am healthy and feel great-in fact I feel better than after the RNY 10 years ago. Yes, I must take vitamins/supplements, have periodic lab work and eat carefully for the rest my life.  But heck-I'm 57 years old and need to be careful anyway. 

My labs are consistently normal, energy is great, no uncontrollable diarrhea and gas.  I don't stink.  I've experienced none of the scare tactics disguised as warnings.  the DS gave me back my life. My only regret is getting the RNY in the first place instead of the DS.

However, there are very few doctors in the world (literally) who are experienced enough to do this very complicated surgery.  A DS surgeon is not the same as a RNY to DS revision surgeon.  You must get a RNY to DS revision surgeon.

Come on over to the DS board. There are a lot of experienced people who can give you candid, accurate advice and help.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best 

zippyleah
on 4/8/11 10:23 pm
Dona,
Thank you so much for responding back. I can surely feel what you are saying and I to wished that I had gotten the DS instead of the RNY but at the time when I was going through the motions of dealing with insurance, my time was running out and I was not given any options at the time. I was being threatened that my tenncare insurance was ending. So as it was I had the RNY (open) procedure in which I hated!!  Anyway, I had gained back alot of the weight back and only lost 70 lbs in the first place and thats not much. I was on the 'light-weights' to begin with.
I had this done back in 2005 and now want a revision. I'm going for a consultation May 2nd to see Dr. Houston at Centennial hospital in Nashville, TN.  I was told that he does revisions so we'll see. I am now 46 so I'm ready to get it done right and be on my way again to being healthy.
Thank you for your kind words and support. I wish you well also

Zip...
airbender
on 4/8/11 8:17 pm
so I am somewhat confused by this post?  when you say you were "approved" for a revision I understand that as insurance approval?  an insurance co would not approve you for a revision unless the acutual surgery type was requested in the prior authorization?  so if you have insurance approval it is for a specific surgery type, that information would be on your approval letter.  check out all the wls types and reseach them well, go on different boards, read and ask questions, good luck in your travels to get healthy...
zippyleah
on 4/8/11 10:27 pm
Yes,
my insurance approved me for the revision. They will cover a DS if this is what I want .
I'm just researching all that I can but it was summited as wanting a revision to the RNY I had.
Thanxs for your thoughts & support.

Zip...
robert B.
on 4/9/11 1:46 am - fair lawn, NJ
i think you should get the lap band because it is safe and is better for long term    ithink they should put the band on the same time the do the bypass    rny  2004   lost 200 lbs     gained back 100    2009  lap band lost all the weighy i gained
zippyleah
on 4/10/11 12:24 am
Thanxs Robert for your response. I have researched the lapband and think that it's not for me.
I do congradulate you on your accomplishments and wish you the best throughout your life.

Thank Again,
Zip...
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 6:52 am
 Zippy, if you are really interested in the DS, you really should go over to the DS forum. There are many that have revised from other surgeries and know which Doctor does what. It's always best to get as much info as possible. I hate to say it, but, most doctors do not give you all the info that you will need to make a good decision.
zippyleah
on 4/11/11 8:05 am
Thanxs Inge for responding to my post. I posted here just to get an idea from anybody but still planning to post again on the DS board.  I know that I want a revision from the RNY. I  wished that I was'nt rushed into the RNY like I was. My insurance carrier was threatening me with the cut off & out and so I was just so lucky enough to be able to have the RNY. I almost did'nt get that!
I needed more time to do research but there was no xtra time given. Anyway, I have heard great stories about the DS procedure and want the same now for myself. I was given the ok from my new insurance company so now I have to go for it. I have a consultation date of May 2nd. with Dr. Hough Houston of Centennial hospital in Nashville, TN. I heard he does do the DS procedure. I'll find out more when I go. So, are you happy with your journey so far?

Thaxs Again,

Zip...
Most Active