Help! Revise RNY to what?

jdtoobe
on 4/8/11 12:53 pm - Lee's Summit, MO
I've maintained a 100 pound weight loss from RNY for six years, but I'm still 40 pounds overweight and, no matter how hard I try, I can't lose more than 5-10 pounds. My current weight is about 200. I've been on and off of Phentermine for three years, and I don't want that to be a permanent part of my life -- too many side effects. But the moment I stop taking it, I'm right back to 200. I have reasonable expectations. My goal is 170 and I'm 5'9". I need help to make it the rest of the way. Any ideas? I'm thinking about the possibility of band over bypass. Any thoughts? My current BMI is 30. Would a doctor even consider a revision of my original RNY or a switch to DS when my BMI isn't higher than 30? I'm open to options. I'm accountable to exercise and I'm reasonably accountable (though I can do better) to nutrition. Anyone had success with Band over Bypass or getting insurance approval for a revision with a BMI of 30. Please advise. I appreciate as much input as I can get. I need information. Thanks so much!
1965laura
on 4/8/11 2:03 pm

I had Gastric bypass in 2001, I never reached my goal weight and also would love a revision, I too am concerned that I dont have enough weight to loose to be considered for a revision, I also like you, dont know what would I have a revision too, to the band? I have read a few posts on people who have gone from bypass to band, and most of them were not positive feedback. Also it seems that a lot of people go from band to bypass, so it makes me wonder about the band. I have an appointment with a bariatric doctor on the 28th of this month so I guess I will find out what my options are if anything.

airbender
on 4/8/11 8:11 pm
as a service to yourself you should really reseach ALL the wls options out there and go on the individual boards.  revision surgery is not the same as a virgin surgery.  I was revised to DS with a bmi of 31, insurance approval due to severe complications of my original wls.  I know patients who have had revision surgery with a normal or low bmi due to complications etc.  if you are metabolically challenged going from one restrictive procedure (RNY) to another restrictive procedure (band) would yield little to no weight loss, and you may find youself now revising to another wls agains.  do your research before you rule out any wls type

I understand it is a difficult choice to make, but arm yourself with as much information as you can about the different wls out there, pick the one that is best for you, not that a surgeon is willing to do on you, is trained to do,(find another surgeon)  your insurance pays for (appeals).  I had to go out of my network, find a surgeon to take my high risk case, and appeal, but I did get the surgery that was best for me....it may not be easy but remember you will have to live with your choice, or revise again in a few years.....hope you find your answer, keep looking, and research, ask questions on different boards till you are comfortable with your choice....good luck with your future...
MsBatt
on 4/9/11 11:53 am
Other than weighing more than you think you should, do you have any medical problems? Revising an RNY to a different procedure is VERY difficult and VERY risky---far more so than the original procedure.

Frankly, 40 pounds alone is NOT worth the risks. I could see it if you had diabetes, high cholesterol, or some other medical problem, or if your original surgery was causing you quality-of-life issues---but not just to lose 40 pounds.

Are you aware than WLS is considered  success if you lose 50% of your excess weight? You've lost about 65% of your original excess weight. What you have now may very well be as good as it gets.
jdtoobe
on 4/9/11 12:41 pm - Lee's Summit, MO
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I appreciate your honesty and insight. Since WLS I have come to understand a 100 pound weight loss is a substantial success on its own, and being 40 pounds overweight is a whole lot better than 140 pounds overweight.

While I don't have co-morbidities that are life-threatening unto themselves, I do have some medical concerns that are highly correlated with my weight. I was initially interested in ROSE because the risk seems very reasonable however, the results I've heard about are dismal to poor at best.

I'm currently considering band over bypass. Though I haven't done enough research to make an informed decision, it seems the risk is low (as revisions go) and the results are encouraging.

Weight will be a struggle for me the rest of my life. RNY was an amazing start to gaining some control over my weight, but I believe I need additional help staying a step ahead of morbid obesity.  I don't want to go back to that life. While I will not approach any revision surgery haphazardly, I am willing to take a calculated risk if there is a reasonable chance it will help me improve my health.
MsBatt
on 4/10/11 12:30 am
I agree that the Band over bypass is the least risky revision, and some people do have good results---certainly better than anything I've read about the Rose.

Good luck on your journey!
Most Active