Band revision to sleeve

Yolanda P.
on 4/7/11 12:20 pm
I have a dr appt on Monday with my dr to discuss a revision to sleeve. He thinks this will be good for me. If all is a go with insurance what will be a good time to have this done. My dr mentioned the first week of May. I'm asking because I have vacation scheduled for June 19. Will I be ok to go. How will my eating be?
Yolanda

ajalew
on 4/8/11 3:40 am - Sanford, MI
If you have a lot of scar tissue left over from having the band you will want to make sure your doctor is able to handle converting to a VSG. I converted from band to sleeve and two years out and STILL suffering for it. I was on a feeding tube for nearly a year and ended up having to switch to an RNY (though little to no intestines where bypassed) because my stomach literally fused closed (massive stricture). Check out my blog on this site to see all the crap I had to go through. I wish I would have just had a gastric placation. Sooo much safer.

Anyway, now that I'm two years post op (almost) I still can't eat a normal meal without lots of pain. I am mostly on liquid/pureed foods and am living on pain meds, though I was able to go off them for a short period of time.

Hopefully your experience will be better.
Hislady
on 4/8/11 9:32 am - Vancouver, WA
You might want to post this on the sleeve forum to get more responses, there are LOTS of bandsters than have revised very successsfully.
Yolanda P.
on 4/8/11 10:25 am
Thank you. I posted there a couple of days ago.
Yolanda

Jody W.
on 4/12/11 5:03 am - Windsor, CT
WOW... You know what is kinda crazy that is going on in my head?  I had an appointment last week about a revision and I am having an Endoscopy next week, but I never even thought about the fact that I could get a date as fast as May.  Are you with your original surgeon?  I am going with a different surgeon this time, because it seems like my old practice seems like they are 'Pro-Band'.....
Can it happen this fast?  How fast are the insurance companies approving revisions? (I know that it differs based on the insurance company).

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

Yolanda P.
on 4/12/11 6:50 am
I know right?  I just spoke to my dr office today about a Endoscopy, I'm waiting to see what he has to say. I am hoping for a May date as well. But who knows how this will turn out. I am with my original surgeon for now, but I am thinking about changing surgeons for the revision and have started my research.
My surgeon has done RNY in the past but have been gearing to all bands. But has done 2 sleeves, no revisions to a sleeve.... that alone has me worried. I kinda get the same feeling you have- my practice may be "Pro-Band as well....
I believe it can happen that fast...I was told with revisions you don't have all the pre stuff you have to do when you are just starting the process from the beginning.
Yolanda

Most Active