If I have one more stuck episode......!

bluek
on 3/29/11 3:54 am - Austin, TX
yep, same issues here, word for word. can't eat salad, veggies, chicken, etc. protein shakes/crackers/chips/frozen yogurt are about all that works.

i just found out i got denied by united for a revision because my weight is "too low," even though I've gained back 40 of the 60 lbs i lost. they'll only pay for the removal of the band. it's tempting to just be done with it, but i know i'll end up with my BMI getting higher and higher. i would like to get the sleeve, but i think it will be cost prohibitive.
Ugh!
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/11 7:34 am
I'm on United and waiting for my approval to revise.  If they don't approve I am still getting the band out. 

I used to eat much healthier before the lap-band.  When we went to the lap-band seminar I remember the doctor telling us that people who eat chips and ice cream will not do well with the band and I remember thinking that it woudn't be the case for me because I don't like that stuff anyway.   I didn't know that I would have to resort to eating that stuff just to ever feel full again. 

My BMI is still hanging between 35 and 36 so I am assured by my Doctor that an approval is around the corner.  Either way this band is coming OUT!!
Kathi C.
on 4/1/11 8:29 am - Egg Harbor Township, NJ
I was banded on 08/03/10.

I have TriCare and don't know if they cover the sleeve (or a revision at all for that matter), but that's the way I'm leaning.

Like you, it's easy to eat chips, or ice cream. As a matter of fact, I've come to eat most things on tortilla chips. Anything and everything is becoming a new type of 'nachos' because I can get the chips down. Although last night, after only 5 chips with italian sausage, I couldn't choke down another bite.

Today I tried to eat a veggie burger on a Flax Seed Sandwich Thin (toasted) with cheese and a small amount of Olive Oil Mayo, and every single bite required a wait of at least 1-2 minutes before even attempting another bite. If I did what was recommended and stopped eating after 15 or 20 minutes, I'd hardly be eating anything at all. It took me about an hour to eat the veggie burger for lunch. A friggin' hour!

I'm so frustrated and upset every time I eat. I'm heading to eating only soups now. I can swallow soup fairly well.

And I know people will say my band is too tight, but when it was looser I wasn't losing any weight. Not that I'm really losing weight with it at this point either.

This is awful. I wouldn't mind the discomfort (as much) IF I were getting steady weight loss results. But I'm 34 weeks post-op and have lost 25 lbs. (8 of those pounds were pre-op), and I've been STRUGGLING the WHOLE TIME! Food holds no enjoyment for me now, none. And I never feel full, just stuck!
Be Particular  Self-respect is the most beautiful quality a woman can possess.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 7:20 am
Even scarier, I am completely open and I am getting stuck!!!

In order not to get stuck I have to make what I eat "greasy".  Not just wet, like spaghetti sauce or broth, but I have to have something slick and greasy to get it to go down.

A good test for me is to press whatever I am eating between my fingers and if my fingers slide then I knnow I am okay.  Like if I have a piece of white meat chicken and I squeeze it between my fingers there is no grease, but if I push dark meat chicken between my fingers then my fingers slide together with ease and I know I will not have a problem.

I know that sounds bad because they used to tell you that slider foods were bad for you.  The only problem is that I am COMPLETELY OPEN NOW and slider foods are all I can eat without foaming or vomiting.  I don't want to vomit because I know it means days of going back to liquids again.

Also,  even when I am on mushies I still burp up some of what I am eating sometimes 10 to 12 hours after I am eating it.  This is telling me that I still have left over food in my pouch that is not passing through my band.  That's cant be good to have rotting food still in your pouch for that long.  That could also be what is causing the acid problems. 

I was sold on the lap-band making you feel full. I thought you would be able to feel full after eating a few bites of normal food.  I wasn't told that eating food was also going to be painful with the lap-band. I wasn't told that I would NOT be able to eat baked chicken again unless I covered it in something to make it greasy.

The only thing I can say is that I am down almost 90 lbs, so I am lucky on that point, but it was just at too high of a cost.
Holly O.
on 4/6/11 6:02 am - FL

I have the same problem...........everything getting stuck.  I have Tricare Prime and it does cover the RNY.  They would'nt cover the lapband back in 2006, so stupid me......came up withthe cash!!! I haven't been successful with the band either.  As soon as I can.....that band is going bye-bye!!!

imaneed2lose
on 4/2/11 10:48 am
Hi All,
I was in your place until recently. I had the lap band in 2006 and lost 10-15 lbs which I gained and lost repeatedly. I was unable to reach a "sweet spot" due to intolerance of fills. I had a revision to gastric bypass on March 28th and its been so incredible. I can drink things first thing in the morning which I could not do with lap band unless I drank something incredibly hot to losen the band. I am early out but Im so comfortable without the band and port sticking out my side. The surgeon was concerned about scar tissue and she did find a signifcant amount. I knew she would considering how Ive lived my life vomiting daily for years. So far, the bypass is treating me well.
Holly O.
on 4/6/11 6:04 am - FL
So glad you posted...... I am so happy for you.  I am having my consult with my surgeon to go fromLapband to RNY.  Can't wait to have that thing removed!!!
Most Active