Revision Surgery date 4-7-11 out of state w/ Dr. Husted-RNY-DS

fllmom
on 3/23/11 10:43 pm - Hollywood, FL
Hi.  If anyone would not mind posting any tips, I would appreciate it!  Traveling from Florida to AZ for Dr. Husted.  He did my original RNY back in 99 with great success.  Kept the weight off until I got pregnant w/ my twins.  Went from running a 10K & eating super healthy to bedrest and back to bad habits, gained 83 lbs. w/ pregnancy.  My girls are almost 3 & I have been struggling with weight since their birth.  UHC gave me a quick approval---Thank You!  I am so excited, but nervous only because I have to travel for my surgery...FL/TN/AZ.and that is more complicated with 3 yr. old twins.....My sister in another state volunteered to take care of them...Thank you, sis!...but hate not knowing exactly how long everything will take....funny how you forget about all the details of your first surgery.  Although I know it will be somewhat different this time.  Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

Questions I have:
When you traveled out of state how long did you stay before you flew home?
Hospital 2-3 days?  Hotel how many days? 
How long before you were able to get out?  How long were you out of work? 
Would it be possible to recover a few days in hospital then fly home & fly back for the follow up appt. or do you think it is necessary to recover in hotel the 7-10 days?  I hate leaving my girls too long. 

Thanks again for any help.

HW 383 4/99....after rny avg wt 145-160....upper gi 1/11 started seeking revision....with wt of 225/ cw 212-214...starting 10-14 day protein diet in a few days! 
smileyjamie72
on 3/24/11 6:51 am - Palmer, AK

The hospital stay is usually 3-4 days & the post-op appointment is about 10 days after you have been released form the hospital.  It is advisable to STAY in the area, just in case you have post-op complications.

Hope that helps!!!
-Jamie in Alaska

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

fllmom
on 3/24/11 12:27 pm - Hollywood, FL
Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.  Dr. Husted called me today to check on me and he does want me to stay in the area 10-11 days after surgery...didn't plan on being away that long.  Surgey on the 7th & follow up on the morning of the 18th & I can fly home right after that appt. if all is well.  That is also an expense I wasn't counting on...hotel.  Hope you get your approval soon!

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/11 4:11 pm - San Jose, CA
Before you commit, I would check with Husted and make SURE he is going to give you a DS.  He has expressed some reservations in doing the DS in some patients - including very late in the process, substituting instead some version of an ERNY or BPD or whatever he calls it - but what it is NOT is a true DS.

If you get that vibe, I would check with either Dr. Rabkin or Dr. Keshishian in CA.  Go a little further, be sure you are going to get a DS.

You should also read some posts here about stuff that has been going on with Husted.  Multiple malpractice law suits in KY - two patients who were found - or alleged to be found - to have been given 20 cm common channels.  Check this post from today: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4361696/was-anyone-else -still-not-able-to-eat-food-at-4-months-out/

Sorry to be the bearer of this information, but worse if you have problems and find out later the information was withheld.
Amy_Kleve
on 3/26/11 10:59 am - Adrian, MN
Can you explain to me what a true DS is?

I chose Dr. Henry Buchwald, just want to make sure he is doing the true DS (if he decides to do it and if my insurance approves)

Thanks

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/11 11:16 am - San Jose, CA
Including revising the pouch to a proper sleeve, pyloric valve and all.

Keep in mind, the surgeon can find INTRAOPERATIVELY that your pyloric valve has atrophied and is non-functional, which will likely require a pouch after all.  Yet another reason doing an RNY first, thinking you can revise to a DS later if necessary, isn't such a great plan.
fllmom
on 3/28/11 9:00 am - Hollywood, FL
Thanks for posting.  I appreciate the info.& appreciate your position..   I am committed to Dr. Husted because I trust him. It looks like I might be in the minority, but I am possibly his hugest fan.  I feel he saved my life!   He did my original rny back in 99 & I had no problems at all.   (He actually was the one that suggested the ds...I originally didn't want it because of misinformation.)  Surgery is April 7th!  I am excited!  Thanks again for everyones advice.
(deactivated member)
on 3/28/11 9:09 am - San Jose, CA
So long as you are going in eyes wide open.

However, I will also note that your statement about him and your claim to your rank in his fan club would likely be challenged by any number of his female patients, as well as numerous females he worked with - some of whom were so smitten that they did very strange things on these very message boards, apparently to curry his favor.  He is a charmer, that one.

Do me a favor and bookmark this thread for future reference, OK?
fllmom
on 3/28/11 11:24 pm - Hollywood, FL
ok.  Thanks.
ginau
on 3/28/11 12:21 pm - mesa, AZ

Congratulations on your quick approval ... Living here in Az  can I make a few suggestions to make your stay a little better...

1 - its going to be in the 90's here - no humidity but you may feel the heat - then again maybe not.

2. Make sure your hotel  has a Recliner for your room - a lot of people find the beds  difficult the first few days

3.  go grocery shooping  for broth , jello etc...  before surgery.

4 make sure to fill scripts a head of time and

5 while sightseeing trips are nice - you might want to opt out of em...

*** is your surgery at the surg center or at  the hospital ??  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active