Insurance Approval - Did I get my hopes up for nothing???

chubbyexpert
on 3/22/11 9:43 am
Before I even made my first appointment I called my insurance co. to see if this surgery was covered.  I talked with two ladies, both saying yes, it was covered.  I made my initial appointment, have seen the diatican, had an upper GI, and done the Psy. eval.  The surgeon called and according to the insurance I was covered.  
I called today and was told that they didn't check into my coverage.  My employer had an exemption for this surgery. Two of the codes may be covered, not positive.  According to the insurance co.  the Dr's office would need to write an pre-determination letter for approval.
If your employer has an exemption to the policy for this surgery, can it still be approved, or is is a lost cause?
TamaraL
on 3/22/11 10:41 am
if your employer has a exclusion in the policy that they will not cover WLS then your up the creek without a paddle.

I would call the insurance company yourself and ask to speak to a supervisor.  Explain what has happened and see if they can do further research

Caraat231
on 3/23/11 9:06 am
I just wanted to wish you luck, insurance companies job is to deny medical issues. Good Luck keep us posted.

Cara M
chubbyexpert
on 3/23/11 10:52 am
 Thank you, say a prayer for me.
Sidonia B.
on 3/24/11 10:46 am
i was denied twice and appeled and just got approved yesterday... my new surgery date in April 6 but my doctor had to fight with the insurance for me to get approved... im so excited im going form band to RNY... but i am nervous...many nights i cried because i hadn't got approved but im glad for me now
Most Active