Dr. Dyer ??

zippyleah
on 3/21/11 2:24 am
Good Morning Y'All,
I hope everybody is having a good start so far

Question please;
Can anybody who has had Dr. Dyer from Centennial hospital in Nashville TN tell me about him and if anybody has had a revision from RNY.
Thanxs a bunch!

Zip...
MsBatt
on 3/21/11 7:23 am
What sort of revision are you wanting to have?
zippyleah
on 3/22/11 12:25 am
Thanxs Ms Batt for responding.
I'm not quit sure yet. I've heard alot about the DS and maybe having another RNY done which according to what I have read was to have it 're-done'.  I had the RNY back in 2005 and only lost 70 pounds.  I would like to know what else is available after having the RNY to what can be done now 6 yrs later (revisions).

Thanxs!
MsBatt
on 3/22/11 2:18 am
Well, Dr. Dyer doesn't do the DS. Dr. Hugh Houston in Nashville does, but he doesn't do true RNY-to-DS revisions---he either can't or won't take down the pouch  and do a sleeve. You should check with Dr. Elarniy in VA, or Drs. Rabkin or Keshishian in CA.

There are less than a handful of surgeons who can do a true RNY-to-DS revision---it takes a LOT of skill to put the pouch and the blind stomach back together, then form a Sleeve. And you do NOT want to have an inexperienced surgeon attempt this---the risk of leaks is far too high.

You can find a list of vetted DS surgeons at www.dsfacts.com

I highly recommend the RNY-toDS revision for you, especially since you only lost 70 pounds with the RNY. This means your metabolism is pretty much shot, and the DS is probably the only thing agressive enough to get you where you want to be. It's also the very best at KEEPING the weight off. I'm over seven years post-op, and I've had zero re-gain.
zippyleah
on 3/22/11 3:21 am
Ok thanxs so much Ms Batt.  I do need a skilled surgeon to do the DS from a RNY no doubt but I need the surgeon who works in Nashville bc I live in middle TN.
Before I had the RNY I weighed 236 pounds and only lost 70 pounds after the RNY.
I have not lost anymore since. I do have issues with iron deficiency. What do you suggest would be a good choice? I don't know any surgeon who qualifies to do the DS in Nashville.
What other procedure/revision would be good to where it will help me to keep this weight off ?
I thank you soooo much for all your help!
MsBatt
on 3/22/11 4:45 am
Dr. Hugh Houston does 'virgin' DSes, but you're going to HAVE to travel to get a bono fide RNY-to-DS surgeon. Dr. Houston says he does them, but after further questioning his staff told me he did NOT do a sleeve, just left the pouch in place---so what he REALLY does is an ERNY.
zippyleah
on 4/4/11 8:32 pm
Hi Again Ms Batt,
Thanxs again for your help. Can you please tell me what is a 'virgin DS' procedure??
I'm curious if it works at all. I have been approved for a revision to my RNY but am still wondering what procedures are available to those after having the RNY.  My surgeon will be Houston from Nashville, TN.

Thanxs,
Zip...
MsBatt
on 4/5/11 3:37 am
A 'virgin' WLS is one where you've never had stomach surgery before. Since you've already had the RNY, in order to do a 'true' RNY-to-DS conversion, the surgeon would have to put your small food pouch back together with your blind stomach, THEN cut it into a sleeve, restoring your pylorus. I don't *think* Houston does this, but you should ask.

If not, all he'll do is increase the amount of small intestine that's bypassed, giving you more malabsorption.

Once you meet with him and discuss exactly what he'll do---and get him to draw you a picture!---let me know what he intends to do. We really NEED more surgeons who can/will doa true RNY-to-DS, and it would be wonderful to have one right here in TN!
Most Active