is anyone happy with their rny to erny revision?????

randy S.
on 3/29/11 8:12 am - brooklyn, NY
JROLFSON
on 3/28/11 6:56 am - St. George, UT
Hi Randy:

Today is the first time I've been on Obesity Help in a very long time...With much agony, I chose to have an ERNY, it was not one of the popular choices OH ...So I left OH because I got tired of the snide comments and remarks...

I sound just like you when I was agonizing over my decision on what to do...My answer came with the fact that DS wasn't an option because my insurance would not cover...So I just kept searching and searching out people who gave it a favorable review, until I had a handful of people that made me feel secure enough to go for it...I can't honestly say it has been the worst decision I've ever made, however that being said I know in my heart of hearts it hasn't been the best...

It has had an impact on my life in several ways...The potty issues have been tough at work and home...Just going to the grocery store I always seem to have to use the facilities while I'm there...I'm not the most compliant individual so eating right isn't always my cup of tea...I will tell you that when you don't eat right, you will suffer, sometimes immense gas and bloating discomfurt...no one and I mean no one will ever appreciate following you into a bathroom, as the smell is disfiguring...lol! It's also embarassing...I'm coming up on my 2 year surgiversary may 25th...The oil slicks have diminished pretty much...I have an occassional problem...but not like before...

I started at 214 and I'm down to 135...I believe I have stopped losing and I am scared to death I may start gaining...(part of the paranoia, I think we all suffer from after weight loss)

I have had some issues with vitamin malabsorption but not near as bad as I thought it was going to be...At least so far...I do experience some leg aches, which is probably vitamin deficiencies but after having labs they are all at a fairly tolerable level...The thing that seems to drop the most is B12, however I have always been severly low on B12 since having RNY...So I have monthly shots and that seems to make me feel better...I've gone up and down feeling good and bad...Most all of my other friends who had ERNY before me have all had there's revised to a DS... except a couple...If I had the money I would also do that...Just can't afford it...

So all in all I can't say it's the worst thing I've ever done, I have lost weight, I do feel more energetic, my issues with vitamins aren't to bad but do I think it was the best thing for me...Not really...I still have embarassing potty issues, gas, bloating when I eat wrong and the feeling that what is all this going to do to me over time...I worry about bone loss and vitamin deficiencies but like I said so far they aren't that bad...

If you would like to talk to me on a personal level, feel free to email me at: [email protected].

Good Luck Randy...

JRolfson
randy S.
on 3/28/11 7:41 am - brooklyn, NY
Thank you for your honesty.  I am so happy that I can always rely on the truth from the women on these forums. 
I unfortunately e-mailed my Dr. today and told him I would not be settling for anything less the a take down of my 1998 ru-n-y and a full ds revision.  Up until now he has not wanted to oblige me because of massive complications that can arise from the take down of the old pouch.  He has only agreed to do the erny.  By the way, my doctor is very competent to do the ds revision.  He is one of the best on East Coast.  I am not going to cali to pay a $4000 program (which clearly I will not be partaking in since i will be leaving the area after 10 days) fee plus airfare and motel.  I can not swing it.  I was 100% approved from my insurance to have the revision to a full ds an I pay close to $18,000 yearly for health insurance.  I am not cheap nor do I take my health lightly but i will not be taken advantage of from the medical profession. 
I can drive to NJ and have it done and it will only cost me gas.  My Dr. just has to agree.  I will be patient and hope for the best.  The one thing I am sure of after reading many answers to my "who is happy with their erny" question, I WILL NOT BE REVISING MY RU-N-Y TO AN ERNY OR TO A DISTAL RNY OR ANYTHING ELSE!!!!  I will heed every ones warnings and stand my ground.  Even if I will not be able to get my revision now I will get it some day. 
Thanks again,
Randy
JROLFSON
on 3/28/11 8:03 am - St. George, UT
Randy....

Good for you...Glad to hear that you have decided to not settle, like I did...Why buy a Volkswagen when you can get a Cadillac...Who is the doctor who will do your DS? It's utterly staggering to me that their are so many thousands and thousands of people who have had an unsuccessful RNY and need a DS Revision but their are only a handful of Doctors who I personally would trust to do...

Good luck to you my friend... I'm sure in the long run you will be much happier going your chosen path...

JRolfson
randy S.
on 3/28/11 8:12 am - brooklyn, NY
I wanted dr greenbaum to perform the surgery. At this time because of the way my ru n y was done he feels too many complications can arise. I think he can do the full ds. But cir****tances have made him very specific who he will revise to the full ds. I am really sad and dissapointed but maybe he will change his mind. I am anally compliant with vites and blood work ups. Keep ur fingers crossed.
JROLFSON
on 3/29/11 12:43 am - St. George, UT
Well he is an excellent Dr...for sure...I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

Good luck...
Most Active