Dr g is going to revise me to an erny not the ds

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/11 1:38 am - San Jose, CA

Thanks for the explanation Maddie.  I have never heard of this distinction before, and I will be very interested to see the publication (it has not been published yet).  I'd also be very interested to hear Keshishian's take on it, as I have never heard of him (or Rabkin) chosing to give someone an ERNY instead of a full DS because of the type of RNY they had.

lauralisi
on 3/19/11 3:08 am - Dona Ana, NM
So, you've decided to settle for ERNY instead of DS?  And unless you have consulted with Rabkin, Elarney or Kesheshian, you Have settled.  Maybe because the thought of travel seems too daunting.  Maybe the extra expense and bother of additional consultations are inconvenient.  If that is your choice, ok.  But it sounds like that little voice of reason inside you is shouting No NO!!! 

Of course leaks are more common with the RNY to DS revision. This is news?  Any surgeon will tell you that, even Drs. R,E,&K will tell you that.  Do you feel guilty because you were told that your doctor "spent weeks going over [my] records...."   Oh Puleeeze!   I'm sure he mis-spoke, or you mis-heard- to put it diplomatically.  Also,  what is he revising to the DS?-the VSG? the Lapband?.
Concerned for your health? Why?  Because he would take too long while you were under anesthesia?  All the more reason to go with Drs. R, E, or K.

If you want an ERNY, get an ERNY.  If you Want a DS, get a DS. 

btw, I had a similar conversation with this same surgeon 21/2 yrs ago.
ps.  there are some surgeons in foreign countries who can do this revision, but not many.
Good luck.
Lauralisi
RNY 1999
Stomaphyx 2007
DS 2009

randy S.
on 3/19/11 10:34 am - brooklyn, NY
I want the surgey that will be the healthiest for me. I do not feel guilty dr g spent time on my records. Just wanted to give credit when credit is due. I am familiar with dr gagner. He is also doing the revisions in two stages more often then not now.
lauralisi
on 3/19/11 1:30 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Good girl-I'm glad you're not just accepting what you're being told-you're thinking for yourself
(I should have done more of that sooner in my life !!!) 
Re Dr.  Gagner Why have in 2 steps what you can have done in one?
Re Dr.  Greenbaum He may be facing some constraints from the hospital.  As you know, the revision you seek is complicated and time-consuming.  That means tying up an operating room, surgical team and anesthesia for much longer than the ERNY.  The sooner the room and personnel are ready for another case, the more money the hospital stands to make. 
I hope you consult with an experienced revision surgeon-hey California is really pretty this time of year.
Best of luck

Lisa N.
on 3/26/11 4:03 am - Williston Park, NY
 Hi,

I see that you live in Brooklyn.  I had my revision surgery done at Lenox Hill with Dr. Roslin who is a top revision surgeon.  I was not revised to the ds or sleeve, but I went from a bypass back to bypass because of the way of my first surgery was done.  The pouch was made to low.  He does do the ds and sleeve.  That might be an option for you.
   Lisa
PattyLI
on 4/21/11 7:05 am - Coram, NY
I'm meeting with Dr. Roslin next week to talk about revision. Can you tell me your experience.
randy S.
on 4/21/11 9:24 am - brooklyn, NY
Didnt meet with him. Not sure about his expertise with revisions. You should see if dr greenbaum will do your revision he really is the best around here if he is willing to do it. Be careful because with dr g holding back with the revisions and opting to change the proximal bypass to a distal,some of us might be desperate to go to someone not so experienced. Plz dont. This is a complicated surgery. I am looking to go to keshishian even though it means i must travel cross country. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Most Active