Tomorrow Could Decide My Revision Fate

Nikki C.
on 3/17/11 3:17 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Tomorrow I am scheduled for my upper GI to find out what in the world is going on with my band.  Since being unfilled a week ago, I have no more reflux but absolutely ZERO restriction.

I've been taking this time without my "tool" to really think about what I want to do if I am able to revise. Even if there are no evident problems (hernia, slip, dilation) my new surgeron is all for removing the band and revising do due the relux issues and having very little in the band.

At any rate, initially when I thought of revision I immediately thought sleeve 100%, then I was told that if i had issues with restriction as it is the sleeve is not my optimal choice.  My surgeon is an RNY advocate and I am sure I would lose the a good amount of my excess weight with RNY but I fear the long term re-gain with bypass. 

I don't personally know anyone who has had DS but I have done some of my own research on it.  A sleeve combined with the malabsorbtion part seems like the perfect surgery.  I wonder why MORE people do not have this surgery and/or why more Dr. do not perform it?  Anyone have more insight to this?

Also, I know their is no longer term data on the sleeve but would it make sense to say if one had a sleeve and it wasn't working or regain was happening could a sleeve revise to DS????

I just want to know all my options this time and be able to make a better decision if/when the time comes.  Ideally if I am able to have a revision, I only want to do this once but I want to make the right choice this time around.

I do hope I will know something soon so I can get rid of some of this anxiety of food and the band and fills, and unfills and revision.  I'm all over the place in limbo over here!  And I kinda am refusing to go back to the band board because it's just not the nicest place to be especially when you have enough going on you don't need "band do-gooders" getting on your case too!

MsBatt
on 3/17/11 7:01 am
Well, compared to seven years ago when I was researching WLS, a LOT of people do have the DS. (*grin*)

As for why fewer surgeons perform the DS---it's HARDER. Takes more time to learn, and more time to perform, yet insurance companies don't want to PAY more for a DS than they do for an RNY. And for years, a lot of insurance companies routinely denied the DS as 'experimental'. Then Medicare endorsed it, and more and more insurance companies are bowing to the inevitable.

So---as it's becoming easier to get approved for the DS, more surgeons are learning the procedure. Especially younger surgeons---many older, established surgeons don't want to or can't afford to take the time out of their regular practice to do the training.

As to "if the Sleeve wasn't working, or regain happened", yes, revising to the DS would be the only logical choice---but having a Sleeve now and a revision to the DS a few years down the road is LESS EFFECTIVE than doing the whole DS at once. There's a certain 'magic' about the combination of restriction and malabsorption.

And---the stomach of a Sleeve is generally a lot smaller than the stomach of a DS. DSers really do NEED to be able to eat a goodly amount of food, to balance the malabsorption.

I love my DS. I can't imagine having anything else, but that's just me. I eat enough to satisfy my stomach, my mouth, and my mind.

Caraat231
on 3/20/11 1:02 am

I just had revision surgery 2 weeks ago, from Band to Rny. Go with your gut on which surgery is best for you and ask as many questions as you can. Insurance may not cover it but it may be worth a try. Revision surgery is the most painful recovery ever so be prepared. I was denied from for revision surgery and was approved 1 week later, so hang in there for another journey.

Cara
Nikki C.
on 3/22/11 1:42 am - Gaithersburg, MD
Sigh ..no decision yet.  Upper GI showed NO Slip!  Still something is going on in there...

Scheduling my EGD ASAP!  I hope it's all worth something and leads be down  better road than I am one now! 

Most Active