Getting Ready for Revision....SCARED TO DEATH!

Tonya0531
on 3/16/11 3:26 am - Lake, MS
Hi everyone...I haven't been on here in a few years.  A little over 3 years ago, I had the lapband surgery and began my journey and it was GREAT!  I lost 80 lbs and felt better than I had in years.  Then one morning while doing my morning exercise, I made one wrong step and tore my knee up.  Two knee surgeries did in my morning exercise routine.  Then the band problems began.  Now it's medically necessary for me to have it removed and my insurance has approved for me to be switched over to the bypass during the same surgery that my band will be removed.  I should be excited but I'm scared to death!  I would love to talk to anyone that has been through the bypass and even the switch over from the band.  What are the differences? How different will this be from my band surgery?  Please help ease my mind but I want to know the good and the bad!
Thanks,
Tonya
lapband_loser
on 3/16/11 4:13 am - Snohomish, WA
Tonya - I'm very close to being in the same boat as you.  I had my band about 3 years ago, lost nearly 50 lbs, and felt fantastic.  Then my left knee and hip started hurting to the point where it was difficult to get up from a seated position, and climbing stairs was terrible.  I still have to go one step at a time most of the time going up stairs.  Sometimes my band hurts - not my stomach exactly, but under my skin.  And, the other side where the portal is is sometimes tender to the touch.  I haven't had a fill in probably 9 months, and frankly am imbarrassed to go.  I've gained back every ounce I previously lost.
Everyone I know who has had the bypass surgery has had wonderful success.  I wish I had done that in the beginning.  Having the lap-band is the worst mistake I've ever made in my life, and I wish I'd never done it.  I have trouble with so many things getting stuck and having to "get rid of it" - very irritating.  But, I don't know if the revision surgery is the answer for me.  I'd love input from others, too.  Thanks.  Kathy
Tonya0531
on 3/16/11 4:19 am - Lake, MS
I have had problems with things getting stuck and having to get rid of it since my last fill probably over a year ago.  Now I have esopogheal (?) spasms that are making that problem even worse.  I'm so sick of running to the bathroom at a restaurant or that being the first thing I look for in a restaurant.  I know that the bypass won't be a walk in the park and I know there are probably reasons that I thought were very good to do the band over the bypass at the time.  I just can't imagine at this point what they were. 
MsBatt
on 3/16/11 5:24 am
Have you considered getting a Sleeve instead of the bypass/RNY? That way you'd still have your pylorus and normal stomach function---and *probably* better, more permanent restriction. WE see a lot of folks 3+ years out from the bypass who's stoma is stretched, allowing them to eat too much.
Tonya0531
on 3/16/11 5:26 am - Lake, MS
My doctor doesn't do the sleeves?  And I haven't been able to find another doctor that will touch me since I have the band placed by someone else.
MsBatt
on 3/16/11 6:53 am
That's sad. There ARE surgeons out there who specialize in revisions, and I'm sure plenty of them would do a Sleeve for you, if you wanted one.
TamaraL
on 3/16/11 8:51 am
Tonya,

For me the band to RNY was very smooth.  I won't say you won't have pain but I will say I feel 100% better.  I was feeling better as soon as I got into the recovery room. Mainly because my heart rate had went back to normal!!

You do feel full with a small amount of food.  You need to remember to eat slow.  I had no problems and have felt great.  Just make sure you take your vitamins like they say.  RNY is a lifetime commitment to the vitamins.

Tamara

Hislady
on 3/16/11 1:52 pm - Vancouver, WA
The 2 posters that are throwing up or PBing need to get some unfill or you will continue to damage both your stomach and your band, you are too tight. Not slamming you just letting you know that shouldn't be an everyday part of being banded. I'm no band advocate by any means, I hate mine, so I say revise to anything just get the blasted band out! Best of luck to both of you!
Tonya0531
on 3/16/11 10:58 pm - Lake, MS
That is why I am having it removed...I have NO fill in my band and still can not get food thru it.  It's almost like it's stuck in a tight position.  My doctor told me that with the new data only 1 out of 4 bands actually work.  Wish I had known that several years ago but I guess there wasn't enough data out then.  I loved my band to begin with but now it's gotta go!
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Sidonia B.
on 3/17/11 12:18 am
tonya i have the same problems that you have. they had to remove all the saline out of my band because i had problems with my esophyicus...now i gained all my weight back.... my insurance denied me twice and now im appealling i should be hearing something back in a few days,,, wish me luck. i also want to remove my band and do the bypass and at first i was scared but after gaining all my weight back i just want the bypass even more...
Most Active