Why not Band to RNY?

Ghost_Dog
on 3/16/11 12:31 am
i read the information on the Dr Husted page here and he writes that Band to RNY produces poor results
why is this?

thanks ghost dog
MsBatt
on 3/16/11 5:31 am
Because the Band has most likely damaged your metabolism even more than a lifetime of dieting, which you'd probably done before you got the Band. Dr. Husted is a big fan of metabolic surgery, such as the DS. (I am, too. *grin*)

He's also a big fan of preserving the pylorus (so am I), and the RNY doesn't do that. His thinking (and mine) is that as long as youo have a fairly intact stomach, it's a better idea to revise to either the Sleeve or the DS. The Sleeve is a restriction-only procedure, similar to the Band, but more effective. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, only a little larger, plus an intestinal re-routing that makes a dramatic, permanent change in your metabolism.

The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, AND the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. Any sort of revision surgery generally produces slower weight loss than a 'virgin' surgery, but we have a lot of posters here who've been revised to the DS from the Band, the RNY, or the Sleeve. They all seem pretty darned happy.
Ghost_Dog
on 3/16/11 6:15 am
thank you  for taking the time to reply. i suppose like everyone alot will depend on what my insurance will pay
MsBatt
on 3/16/11 7:00 am
Most of the time, if they approve you for ANY procedure, you can appeal and get the procedure YOU want.
CindyLyn
on 3/16/11 11:41 am - Evadale, TX
I was told that a band to RNY could cause ulceration in the stomach more that other procedures.... Not really sure what this means.  I'm just repeating what was told to me...
MARIA F.
on 3/16/11 6:58 pm - Athens, GA

I had never actually heard the reasons why............I just know that most bandsters revise to VSG. They all seem to do very well with it.

FormerlyFluffy.com

terilynn112
on 3/17/11 11:31 pm - maryland, NY
All i can tell you, is I was banded 2 yrs 4 months... and am bypassed for 2 months. I LOVE my bypass. I've lost all I gained with the band (yes gained). Plus I'm 7 pounds below my lowest weight with the band in two short months. That's 45 pounds lost in two months. I'm not getting stuck. I've not learned to eat around the RNY. I've loved how life is since the RNY. I have a long way to go still, but I've gone from 260 on the day of my rny,to 215.... and will get to goal. It just takes time.

No complications from the revision surgery or the RNY. I absolutely love life now.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Cheryl N.
on 3/18/11 7:25 am - Des Moines, WA
My surgeon told me that revision from lapband to RNY is great, it's like you never had the band.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/11 9:56 am
The rule of thumb is to not ask a surgeon their advice. Their opinions stem from profit motive. Many go from band to rny to ds. Why a trio when one cut can hit the spot?
Most Active