So happy with my band to sleeve revision!

Michelle F.
on 3/17/11 9:24 am
Thanks Maria...16 days out and I haven't gotten sick once...that to me is a miracle!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

MARIA F.
on 3/16/11 7:07 pm - Athens, GA
On March 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM Pacific Time, Nikki C. wrote:
I honestly can't believe (although I should) ALL of these revision I see from the band.  It's so hard to even go on the band board sometimes.  Some people are like the Nazi's of WLS.  I have struggled from the beginning and while many times I didn't always make perfect food choices ( I do eat the carbs that I can which is like a big no no over on that forum).  

I know so many other people who have had other WLS and have done so well without judgement along the way and now that they are out 1+ year they eat normal regular food and even non -diet stuff and are not looked at like omg, you are eating a piece of cake or a piece of pizza!! 

I feel like if the band isn't working for people for one reason or another people (many who have bands) are always quick to say, "you aren't following the rules".  And some days I want to reply with well EFF the rules, I just want to live life and it just so happen I need a little help in the food department!

I personally probably do need the malabsorption part to get to my goal. Although I have hated my band pretty much for the mechanics of it, I know I would not have lost weight without it depsite all the sliming, pbing and hurling etc.  In the past few days of being unfilled due to my severe relux, I once again am experiencing the "not full fulling" and dread that I have zero restriction.  The relux has stopped but I feel like the flood gates are open.  I tried PPIs before being unfilled and it did not help - so unfilled I am feeling like the band doesn't even exist in my body!  I even went to the point of certain foods I could keep safely in my house and eat in moderation before to removing them from my house after my unfill so I don't lose control.

I  am taking the next steps with my band and a possible revision very seriously and what is best for me long term.  I'm pretty nervous of the esophogeal dilation or damage I may have in my recent 6 month bout of reflux.  I'm anxiously waiting my appt to have my upper GI to see what is going on.

It's encouraging to read other's posts about getting revised and being so happy.  As I sit here drinking a protein shake and pretending like it's satisfying,  I just have to try to stay positive that other people are getting their second chance because of probelms, some just like mine, and that there is hope for me even if I have to work with this band long term.

Congratulations on your revision and your new road to success!  

Nikki some of those ppl are VICIOUS on the band forum aren't they?! :-(

I got my band about the same time u got yours. Mine has been a complete disaster as well!

You mentioned them telling your you weren't following the rules. They always want to blame US for the band not working! It infuriates me!

One thing I wanted to point out to you is something Wasa told one of them a few days ago................"the bandsters and VSG'ers have the same rules. Why is it that the VSG'ers lose weight and the bandsters don't? They suddenly learn how to follow rules when they get the VSG??" LMAO. No one bothered to answer that one! They all just pretended like they didn't hear it!

FormerlyFluffy.com

kdolphin
on 3/14/11 2:57 am - FL
 HI,

I am 3 weeks out from my band to sleeve revision.  Very happy and really looking forward.  Now when I swallow water I don't feel it stuck in my throat.

During the 3+ years I was banded I lost 120lbs and then gained back about 80 of them.  Had my band filled and unfilled so many times.  I am not blaming my band for me gaining the weight, that is all on me.  But I got the band for restriction and when here was none I ate the wrong foods.  Even when the band had restriction I found myself eating soup most of the time so that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable.  I only PB'd twice the entire time but also was unable to eat sold food a lot of the time.

Good luck on your journey and if it weren't for WASA who kept posting on the lap band forum I would still have my miserable band.
Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:32 am
I'm glad to hear you're happy with your revision also!

kimhoke
on 3/14/11 3:07 am
Hi,
Did your insurance cover your revision surgery?  I had the band last July and have only lost 30 pounds!  I want to have a revision but I'm not sure if I can afford the surgery. Congratulations on your surgery.
Sidonia B.
on 3/14/11 11:41 am
im currently waiting to hear from my insurance company... i got denied twice so now im appealing.  hopefully ill hear something with the next couple of weeks... i got the band back in 2006 and only lost 60 pounds.  i also had problems throwing up so i ended up with a dialated asophycus.... had to take all my liquid out and i gained all my weight back.  im very upset  that i gained all this weight back waiting on the stupid insurance.. my doctor says i really need the surgery. and he doesn't want to fill the band back up in case the insurance denys me again.. the doctor said he was going to write the insurance a real detailed lettler and he was going to let they know to approve me if they know whats good for them. lol hes a surgeon in Boston and hes very good at what he does.  so please pray for me... i going from band to bypass.. i dont even want to deal with the sleeve. i dont want to end up like the band...
Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:37 am
Sidonia, fingers crossed for your appeal. The sleeve is very different from the band, there's restriction without pain which is what I thought I would have with my band.

Good luck!

twins99
on 10/25/11 1:30 pm - Sebastian, FL
I hope your appeal goes thru it is very frustrating, i hsd the lsp bsnd in 3/06 lost 140 lbs in 1 yr started having complications, acid pain throwing up the band eroded, had it taken out then the dr did the gastric sleeve in 3/10 lost 70 lbs in like 6 months now i havent lost weight in 11 months restriction was never 4 oz like they said it would be , went to the surgeon last month because again i have acid burning in my throat , a hernia in the sleeve and he said the only fix is a revision to a bypass . Like you wish i did the bypass from the beginning. How is your journey going.                                                                                                                         Wanda N.
twins99
on 11/4/11 1:45 pm - Sebastian, FL
I had the band in 2006 lost 140 in 1 yr then the erosion problems acid etc it was taken out , i had it revised to sleeve in 2010 lost 70 lbs in 5 months then the WL stopped i didnt feel full at 4 ounces couldnt understand it , got so frustarted went to a top bariatric surgeon at cleveland clinic florida and he said i need the bypass that i should have done it all along. My sleeve has a hernia and i have severe Gerd again. Do what you feel is right i just want to be healthy again:) good luck with insurance i have UHC and they cover revisions:)
Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:35 am
Kim, I have Federal BCBS and it did cover my revision.  I'm not sure what the criteria is for a revision approval but I feel very fortunate that mine was covered!

Most Active