So happy with my band to sleeve revision!

Michelle F.
on 3/12/11 3:18 am
Today is 11 days post op and I'm down 19 pounds!  My surgery lasted a little over 2 hours, there was a lot of scar tissue and adhesions my surgeon had to remove...he said there's always a lot f scar tissue and adhesions from the band...but nothing out of the ordinary.  My esophagus is very dilated from the damn band, hopefully 6 months on a PPI will help heal that, we'll see.

I'm on liquids for another 2 weeks, been having no problems getting in my fluids and I'm usually able to get about 50gms of protein a day in shakes, greek yogurt and protein powder added to my pureed soups.  I've found the Nectar Iced Tea has 24gms of protein in one scoop added to 6 oz of water and I can tolerate it well.  Taking my chewable vitamins and all is well with that.

I did have quite a bit of pain for the first week, especially the gas pains, but nothing that I couldn't deal with.  I took my percocet every 5 hours (I chew them...yuk!) I haven't been able to swallow pills bigger than a sudafed in 2 years because of the damn band, and Mylanta Gas has been a miracle drug!

I was absolutely terrified the day before surgery and had a meltdown at the hospital that morning, but my surgeon calmed me down and I'm so happy I did this.  I can have about 1/3 cup of soup or protein shake at a time and I'm fine...no throwing up, no PB'ing, no pain...what an amazing concept after the band!  I haven't lost my hunger yet, I'm hoping once I move onto solid food that will change.  I'm on a PPI every night and so far no acid. 

I was able to lose 112 pounds in 10 month on the band but once I hit the one year mark it was nothing but pain and vomiting for me. Not to mention as soon as my band slipped (not once but twice!) and had to be unfilled, I gained over 30 pounds back.  I don't need the malabsorption part so I opted for the sleeve.  My surgeon is an experienced DS surgeon so should it ever come down to needing to go that route, I would.  I'm hoping I never have to have another surgery again but it's good to be confident just in case.

If you're suffering from the effects of the band, please look into a revision.  Whichever surgery is right for you, just choose an experienced revision surgeon...I changed from my original surgeon who is more of a band guy.  I believe that this is the best thing I could have done for myself, I already feel better just having the damn port out...no more pain in my abdomen and no more choking everything I swallow including water!  I'm also confident that I will get back down to my goal and stay there...without pain!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

airbender
on 3/12/11 3:21 am
congrats on your revision, you have a great surgeon and you post that your pain from the band is now gone, you should experience a better quality of life, continued success to you
Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:22 am
Thank you Airbender!

Hislady
on 3/12/11 7:54 am - Vancouver, WA

I'm just thrilled for you, only another bandster can understand the crud we go thru! I have to keep my band loose or I can't eat and that pretty much defeats the whole purpose! I just pray one day I'll be able to get a sleeve too and can actually lose this extra weight! Best of luck on your new journey!

Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:25 am
Thank you so much Hislady!  I know how much you've suffered with your band, I wish you were able to revise to another surgery and not have all the pain and struggles.

USAF Wife
on 3/13/11 10:21 pm
YAY YAY Michelle ! ! ! I'm so glad you're revision went great, and smooth recovery. . .
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:28 am
Thank you Tiff, you've been a huge support through my whole process and a big inspiration to me!

Nikki C.
on 3/14/11 2:38 am - Gaithersburg, MD
I honestly can't believe (although I should) ALL of these revision I see from the band.  It's so hard to even go on the band board sometimes.  Some people are like the Nazi's of WLS.  I have struggled from the beginning and while many times I didn't always make perfect food choices ( I do eat the carbs that I can which is like a big no no over on that forum).  

I know so many other people who have had other WLS and have done so well without judgement along the way and now that they are out 1+ year they eat normal regular food and even non -diet stuff and are not looked at like omg, you are eating a piece of cake or a piece of pizza!! 

I feel like if the band isn't working for people for one reason or another people (many who have bands) are always quick to say, "you aren't following the rules".  And some days I want to reply with well EFF the rules, I just want to live life and it just so happen I need a little help in the food department!

I personally probably do need the malabsorption part to get to my goal. Although I have hated my band pretty much for the mechanics of it, I know I would not have lost weight without it depsite all the sliming, pbing and hurling etc.  In the past few days of being unfilled due to my severe relux, I once again am experiencing the "not full fulling" and dread that I have zero restriction.  The relux has stopped but I feel like the flood gates are open.  I tried PPIs before being unfilled and it did not help - so unfilled I am feeling like the band doesn't even exist in my body!  I even went to the point of certain foods I could keep safely in my house and eat in moderation before to removing them from my house after my unfill so I don't lose control.

I  am taking the next steps with my band and a possible revision very seriously and what is best for me long term.  I'm pretty nervous of the esophogeal dilation or damage I may have in my recent 6 month bout of reflux.  I'm anxiously waiting my appt to have my upper GI to see what is going on.

It's encouraging to read other's posts about getting revised and being so happy.  As I sit here drinking a protein shake and pretending like it's satisfying,  I just have to try to stay positive that other people are getting their second chance because of probelms, some just like mine, and that there is hope for me even if I have to work with this band long term.

Congratulations on your revision and your new road to success!  

Michelle F.
on 3/15/11 8:31 am
Nikki it's sad because when I was having my slip, there were a lot of people on the band board who insinuated that it was my fault...mainly the newbies who have no clue as to what they're in for.

I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

MARIA F.
on 3/16/11 7:13 pm - Athens, GA
On March 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM Pacific Time, Michelle F. wrote:
Nikki it's sad because when I was having my slip, there were a lot of people on the band board who insinuated that it was my fault...mainly the newbies who have no clue as to what they're in for.

I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

Michelle they always want to blame us! :-( And Jean sells her bandwagon book to several on there and the book might be somewhat helpful to those that are not having band problems, but if her posts on the band forum are any indication of how the band reads.............that bandwagon book would be completely useless for bandsters having problems. More than useless...........actually counterproductive! :-( I just hate the thought of those ppl buying the book thinking that just bc she wrote it that she's an expert............and then havng a band problem and reading that it's their own fault!

But on to happier thoughts...............CONGRATS ON THE REVISION!!!! :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active