revision to RNY and diabetes returning

jokenaround
on 3/10/11 5:56 am

I am hoping to have a revision to an RNY from the sleeve because of my diabetes coming back.  DS is not an option so please don't yell at me!

I'm concerned if my diabetes came back after 2 years with the sleeve will it after I have the RNY.  Everything that I've read says it should go into remission but has any one or have you known anyone that has had the RNY and had their diabetes come back?  If so how long after and was it as bas as before.  I don't want to go through this if its just going to return again.  A diabetes nurse said I maybe very upset at the end results but thats not what the doctor said or what I've read but now the doubt has been planted.  Any help or suggestons or advise, whatever would be greatly appreciated!!

TamaraL
on 3/10/11 7:34 am
I had the lap band and revised to RNY.  Why can you not have the DS?? The sleeve is the first part to the DS I thought.

I think that most people do get rid of their diabetes completely but I have seen a few gastric bypass patients that they did not get rid of their diabetes.  Do you have diabetes 1 or 2?? 

Put this on the bypass forum. I know there is 1 or 2 ladies that have still had problems even after the bypass. 

jokenaround
on 3/10/11 8:13 am
I have type 2 diabetes.  I have also put it on the bypass forum and have had some response today too.  My doctor would do the switch and I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but doesn't prefer to do them.  I don't know if I want some of the side effects that they have either.  I'm perfectly happy where I am but the diabetes is going to kill me so I guess even if it helps it go away for awhile its better than nothing and maybe by then they will have more research but then thats a whole other story.  Thanks!!  Hopefully I will hear from the ladies!
Ladytazz
on 3/10/11 2:02 pm
The DS is best for curing diabetes but if you are going to have one don't go to a surgeon that doesn't like to do them.  Go to one that has done a lot of them.  My surgeon didn't like to do them either and I found out why.  With this surgery more then the others it seems you need someone that is very experienced and skilled at it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/11 5:21 pm - San Jose, CA
If I had that happen to me, I would NEVER consider another surgery that doesn't have the BEST rate of cure of type 2 diabetes - and the best PERMANENT rate of cure.  That just doesn't make sense to me.
MsBatt
on 3/11/11 5:39 am
I don't know of any studies on people who have had a Sleeve then revised to an RNY, but---while 84% of diabetics who get the RNY achieve total remission of symptoms within the first few months, by the five-year post-op makr that number is down to only 53%---a rather significant number of people are seeing their diabetes come back. On the other hand, 98+% of diabetics who have the DS achieve total remission, and we're NOT seeing it coming back in any significant number of patients.

If you already had a Sleeve, lost your diabetes, have had it come back, then---I would expect the same thing to happen a few years down the road with an RNY, too. Since you already have a Sleeve, the most logical thing would be to find a different surgeon and get the switch/intestinal portion of the DS added to what you already have. (I'm NOT yelling at you.)

The switch part of the DS is SO very effective at treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe have been doing it on NON-obese people for years now, with wonderful results. Trials in the US began about three years ago, but I haven't heard of any results being published yet.

Would you care to share with us WHY the DS isn't an option? And please don't say "Because my surgeon doesn't want to do one." Your surgeon doesn't have to live with this---you do.
Most Active