Scared-vent / advise?

Just-Jenn
on 3/9/11 12:42 am - Midstate Region, PA
I had RNY in 2006, was very successful and lost to my goal.  Had two babies, who are happy and healthy.  After my second daughter I noticed I didn't feel like myself- thought it was depression getting me from having a baby and complications from the baby ending up with back surgery.  Then I remembered 'that  sluggish feeling'...I knew I was diabetic again...then started the weight gain, the hunger where I want to rip peoples heads off if I am hungry- these were all old feelings before WLS.  I had lots of abd pain which ended up being a very bad internal hernia..had that repaired.  Then I continue to have the just don't feel like me and lots of weight gain (I wont get on a scale).  Saw the Dr and he says that I need to be scoped to see what is going on in there with my RNY- that it could have been stretched.  He basically told me lap-band or revision to my RNY...that after the scoped we'd know more.  My scope is tomorrow...but I am scared to death.  I had a very slow adjustment to my original RNY and basically ate nothing and drank very little for almost 1 1/2 months-I was in and out of the hospital and sick.  Though once my gallbladder was removed- I did a world of better so it might have been the cause in the beginning.  Anyways- I don't want to be sickly or even worse, especially now with my two little girls.  Looking for advise, reassurance, hope- something.  I feel very alone in this my spouse isn't the talking type about these things and I don't know anyone that needed a revision.  I literally feel like a big fat loser.  (I know its silly to say that!)

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

smileyjamie72
on 3/9/11 2:42 am - Palmer, AK

Jenn-

I remember you from the post-op pregnancy board!!!!  Do not feel like a failure!!!!  I have been working on getting a revision (RNY to DS) for over 2 years.... insurance snags.... YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!  Check out my profile.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Just-Jenn
on 3/9/11 3:13 am - Midstate Region, PA
Yes- I have been fighting with my insurance, my Dr's office (because they didn't want to see me because of my insurance)....finally I get in, get an appointment for the EGD and I get a letter that my insurance is changing....my insurance to be doesn't cover WLS...I am hoping we can get what I need covered since it's not initial surgery but a repair (possibly).  I am in desperate need of help to stop this weight gain and other co-morbidity's from returning.  Good to see a familiar face- wishing you weren't waiting two years later, sending positive vibes toward your goals. 

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

clpeltz
on 3/11/11 9:51 pm
Keep on your insurance Jenn.  My husbands work had an exclusion for WLS added to our insurance as of the 1st of this year.  I talked to them about my RNY in 2008 and asked about coverage for problems or revisions that may be neeeded to this surgery.  I had the RNY under a different insurance.  I recently got an approval for a revision from RNY to DS without any problems at all.  Keep the faith and I hope that everything works out for you!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

epiphany10101
on 3/9/11 8:16 am, edited 3/9/11 8:20 am

I really know how you feel, you are not alone. Because I can relate. I conceived just 10 months after my surgery in 2005 and it's been down hill (in this case up hill, cause the scale is doing just that. Going up oppose to down). I'm so grateful that you're sharing cause I felt that same loneliness, depression and failure that you wrote about. However now I'm realizing it takes  strength to face a problem and seek out help for it. No one in this blasted world is normal. We are all struggling with something. Our condition just happens to be visible. Well so what, at least we're here trying to do something about it. I commend you and employ you to do whatever you have to do to live longer and be healthy for you and your children. You're worth it. Some people think it's about vanity but it's not. Diabetes, high cholesterol and sleep apnea are all serious conditions that shorten your life. And these are the majority of the reason's we had the surgery in the first place.  So if God has given man the wisdom and knowledge to help us then we should use it. Society has made it socially acceptable for people with chronic conditions like cancer, diabetes and high cholesterol to seek treatment as often as they need to. Millions of dollars have been spent to do research on cures for these conditions, And they should, don't get me wrong. But why does obesity have to be any different. It's a disease also. So if we have Doctor’s who can revise our RNYs to get us healthy again then we owe it to ourselves to seek them out. My appt is 3/15 and yes, I was ashamed at first, but this forum has enabled me to raise my head and go with dignity for some help. So thank you and Good luck. I'm Lisa and I'll watch for your post so we can encourage each other. Be Blessed.

Covergurl
on 3/11/11 8:36 am - Cleveland, OH
 I am right with you guys...decided to visit my Dr and see what options are available to take back control of my  journey too.  I think the depression and feelings of failure are sometimes harder to deal with than the weight regain...but just like we made a decision some years ago to have wls...we can make a decision to take back our journey and WE HAVE! 

CoverGurl
Sandi_b_12709
on 3/11/11 8:39 pm - MN
You are not alone, I too am going thru alot, please see my story dated 2.17.11 I have a G-tube in place since 2.1.11 because I am having problems with my "old Stomach" I also just had a hernia repair back in November, still not improved. Fighting bouts with Depression, too, But I will not let this get me down, stay on the postive road my friend. If you feel like you need to vent , I am here. My prayers for all of us. Take care
Sandi B
Most Active