Revision RNY

leighfrances9
on 3/7/11 9:59 am, edited 3/7/11 10:00 am - GA
Hi!
I am five days post op for having a RNY revision on my original RNY Gastric Bypass in 2002.  Has anyone else had success with their revision surgery?  I need some encouragement, ppplease!  I've been able to do a lot of reflecting over the past few months, so I am pretty straight with myself on my new life ahead of me, but there are always doubts like..."this won't work"...or..."you'll gain the weight back again in a few years".  Really struggling with this.  Any advice?  Suggestions on any counselors in the Indianapolis or Atlanta (GA) area would be helpful too.
Thanks so very much!
Blessings,
Leigh
Biking1
on 3/7/11 11:28 am
 I'm a few days post-op, too, and I think I understand how fragile you're feeling right now. But the same reasons that brought you to this place will carry you through to the next phase.

You've spoken your truth--to yourself, your loved ones, and to your surgeon (right?). And you've learned from your mistakes, as well as from the things beyond your control. Having revision surgery required a lot of courage, heart, and knowledge. So now, it's a matter of putting it all into practice for your current & future success(es). 

What are you doing RIGHT NOW to support your new post-op lifestyle? Celebrate those small milestones, rather than worrying about obstacles that may or may not exist down the road.

With you all the way....
leighfrances9
on 3/7/11 11:59 am - GA
 Yes.  Yes.  You are absolutely right.  I needed to hear that right now.  It can be a lonely place if you don't have others around who are dealing with similar issues.  I'm trying to be so strong around my family, but inside I'm struggling.  Did you have a revision or was it your first surgery?  How are you feeling about things right now?  Many thanks for your kind words and support for you resides here as well!
Leigh
Biking1
on 3/8/11 1:43 am
Thanks for extending the hand of friendship *clasps your hands in mine*. I like that we'll be traveling this road together.

This is my second chance (I posted about that just yesterday--see "Home from the Hospital" here and on the lightweights board). I feel fortunate to have this second opportunity, but I am so recently out of surgery that I'm also struggling. 

You might want to think about why it is that you feel the need to present a strong face to the world at a time when you most need support. I'm not judging you here...in fact, I see myself in your words and am confronting that issue, too. The fact that you stated things so openly here is a very good thing; in the long run, let's try to translate that into "real life," as well. You up for that? I am! :)

leighfrances9
on 3/8/11 10:14 am - GA
Right on!  There are no better people who understand what we're going through than those on this site.  We can all do this together---no doubt!

You're right about trying to maintain a strong face to everyone.  I gave in and told my surgeon that I would like some lexapro.  I feel like I might need a boost.  I also made an appointment with a local therapist to talk through some things.  

I am totally up for this!  I'm ready for the mental, physical and psychological challenge this will present.  God will get us through this, not only in the short term, but in the long term as well.

Have a good day tomorrow, friend!

Leigh
Ladytazz
on 3/7/11 1:48 pm
I regained 100 lbs after my first surgery. I know why I regained. I take full responsiblity for my actions and I have hopefully learned from my mistake. I look at this as a do over. I really didn't think I would get a revision and I never would have sought one out if I wasn't have problems from my first surgery.
The biggest thing I learned? That this really is a tool. If you want to lose weight and keep it off you need to eat right and exercise. The surgery is a tool to help you eat right. Last time I expected the surgery to do everything for me. I looked at it as a cure for my overeating, not as a means to eat less.
I also accepted again that I have a problem with refined carbs. All I had to do was look at my history and every weight loss experience I have ever had that failed because I started eating refined carbs, thinking I could do them in moderation and by the time I found out I couldn't it was too late and I couldn't stop. I used the surgery as an opportunity to detox from carbs and to learn to live without them. The surgery is helping me by keeping me from being hungry, at least at this point.
Good luck to you. You can be successful this time.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Ladytazz
on 3/8/11 8:00 am
No, I didn't have a RNY the first time.  Most people don't believe me but my first surgery was a DS.  Most people are trying to revise to a DS not away from it but I do things backwards I guess.
I still managed to regain most of the weight I lost.  I don't think it was don't properly.  I know that my stomach was left too large and I was always hungry.  My surgeon didn't like the procedure and was scared of malabsorption so he left the stomach larger.
Anyway, my insurance did cover it so that wasn't a problem.  So far I don't have much hunger so I have been able to stick with healthy eating and I totally eliminated refined carbs which were my downfall with my first surgery.  I really think things would have been different if I never let them back into my diet but it was hard to say no to them especially when I was so hungry.  As long as I don't eat them I think I will be ok.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

patti72
on 3/8/11 8:10 am - MA
 What kind of revision did you have? I am seeking revision of my RNY from almost 8 yrs ago. I went to a surgeon and now I hv to go to get a upper GI done friday and see if my pouch has grown into my stomach, kinda weird but he said it happens.
Patti
Open RNY 10/06/03
Lost 134pds
Ancor Cut TT 07/18/07

leighfrances9
on 3/8/11 8:32 am - GA
 Hi!  Yes, my original was a RNY.  I had a RNY revision on my RNY from about 10 years ago.  The second time is a lot different than the first time around.  Yes, I've spoken to a lot of the nurses and my surgeon and he said he does quite a few RNY revisions.  I'm hoping the revision is worth it.  Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help with anything!
Leigh
Biking1
on 3/9/11 12:31 am
 You said, "the second time [RYN surgery] is a lot different than the first time around."  I'm curious about the differences, as you see them. Would you mind elaborating on that? Thanks!
Most Active