Revision Surgery - Gastric Bypass

chubbyexpert
on 3/6/11 10:15 pm
My initial surgery was the Gastric Bypass.  I did not lose much weight, and always felt that something was not correct.  I am checking into revision surgery at this time.  I would like to have the Lap Band. 

Has anyone had revision from the Gastric Bypass to the Lap band, if so, what were the results?

Does a surgeon recommend a certain sergery after the Gastric Bypass it you have to have a revision?

My initial visit is tomorrow for consultation and with the surgeon.

Thanks
leighfrances9
on 3/7/11 8:10 am - GA
Hello!
I am 5 days post op GB RNY Revision.  Dr. Huse out of St. V's in Indy did mine and i'm pretty happy with the results so far as there were no complications.  Dr. Huse does the MOST revisions in the state and he recommended that i have a RNY revision rather than a lap band.  He did not recommend the lap bad for some reason.  Feel free to ask me any questions!  I'll be on the site quite a bit since i'm not at work for the next 4 weeks.  :)
Hope your consultation went well,
Leigh
chubbyexpert
on 3/7/11 8:46 am
 If I am correct, your initial surgery was the Roux en y , and what did they do when you had the revision?  Did you want the lap band, and why wouldn't they do that for you?  
I am not sure what my options will be.  Hoping for the best. 
WASaBubbleButt
on 3/7/11 8:30 am - Mexico
On March 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, chubbyexpert wrote:
My initial surgery was the Gastric Bypass.  I did not lose much weight, and always felt that something was not correct.  I am checking into revision surgery at this time.  I would like to have the Lap Band. 

Has anyone had revision from the Gastric Bypass to the Lap band, if so, what were the results?

Does a surgeon recommend a certain sergery after the Gastric Bypass it you have to have a revision?

My initial visit is tomorrow for consultation and with the surgeon.

Thanks

I only know one person in four years of posting here who did really well with a band over their bypass, most do not do well at all.

Are you eating properly?  Meaning low carb foods?  If you are eating properly and you still aren't losing weight you are likely dealing with metabolic issues and a band isn't going to do a thing for you.

Have you had an upper GI?  The only thing the band will do is give you more restriction.  If your stoma isn't dilated a band will not help.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
leighfrances9
on 3/7/11 9:34 am - GA
 Yes, I had RNY GB about 10 years ago.  Also, yes, for my initial consult with Dr. Huse I wanted a lap band because I didn't want to go through the surgery again.  He said he would DO the lap band, but wouldn't suggest it because it won't help the issue like a revision RNY would do.  I hope this helps?  :)
WASaBubbleButt
on 3/7/11 9:41 am - Mexico
On March 7, 2011 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, leighfrances9 wrote:
 Yes, I had RNY GB about 10 years ago.  Also, yes, for my initial consult with Dr. Huse I wanted a lap band because I didn't want to go through the surgery again.  He said he would DO the lap band, but wouldn't suggest it because it won't help the issue like a revision RNY would do.  I hope this helps?  :)

But are you eating properly?  I'm not talking quantity, I'm referring to quality?  If you are eating properly, protein first, really low carb, and there is no weight loss you could be seriously metabolically challenged and a band isn't going to help.

He's right, read through the band board and this board, the band doesn't do well for people that didn't have bypass, the results are even worse for bypass revisions. 

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active