My Story

Alan B.
on 3/4/11 5:42 am - MD
Hi. I am new here.

My original RNY bypass was in 9/1999. Almost immediately after I was diagnosed with ulcer at the astmosis (sp?), and have been living with it ever since. In 2003 I tried to find a surgeon to revise bypass and resolve ulcer but no takers, I eventually gave up on it and have been living with the symptoms. In researching the Stomaphyx proceedure I came upon my doctor (Andrew Averbach) who did an EGD and identified that ulcer was still a mess. This ulcer was all it took to have the insurance company expedite approval. Took 1 month from EGD to surgery. I have 3 things performed a week ago (2/23/11): Repair (removal) of ulcer, reshrink pouch, repair hiatal hernia.
kim W.
on 3/4/11 11:51 pm - west des moines, IA
How are you feeling now? Do you think this will help you? How much weight have you lost?

Start-Revision RNY 02/17/2012- 402#, 2 months- down 55 #, 3 months-339

Alan B.
on 3/5/11 12:39 am - MD
I am feeling really well now that I am 10-days post-revision. When I had my original RNY, it was performed open (not sure they were doing laproscopically in 1999). Last weeks revsion was done, surprisingly, all laproscopically. We had the understanding that if there was too much scar tissue or any reason the surgeon felt he could not complete without opening me up, that he was OK'd to go ahead. When I woke up from surgery, I felt like I had been opened up due to pain and discomfort, but it was in fact all laproscopic. I feel I have overall felt very little pain and have been taking much less medicine than I could be.

Will it help me? Well of course only time will tell. I have two factors to consider. First is ulcer elimination. The surgeon reattached my astmosis (sp) and cut out the area that was ulcerating. The hope is that there will be adeaquate blood supply to that connection thus eliminating the ulcer symptoms. The other factor is weight loss. I have lost 20 lbs since surgery and am following my post-op diet very closely. 3 more weeks until I transition to a more long term meal plan. I am limited to walking right now and have strengthened my endurance to 20 minutes a day. Excercise is going to be a really important part of my success.

In 1999, I was 370#. The lowest weight I hit was 249. I regained over 11 years back to 320#. This morning I was at 303. My goal weight is 225 but would love to see 200# again.
Most Active