revision due to candy cane syndrome...help

Michelle A.
on 3/3/11 11:46 pm - Lincoln, CA
I had rny in feb 2008, got pregnant (surprise!!) in Dec 09 and was sick as a dog during pregnancy.  It was chalked up to the pregnancy but I think it was the candy cane roux syndrome starting.  Immediately after having my baby I had a huge appetite and was shocked at how much food I could take in.  I was  hungry all the time.  Upper GI revealed candy cane syndrome.  This hanging "candy cane" off the side of my pouch, according to my surgeon, holds 4x more food than the pouch itself.  I had revision approved by my insurance and am scheduled for surgery on April 18th.  The surgery itself will be super simple, just removing the long hanging side pouch that developed ( btw, this happens VERY rarely and is caused, perhaps, by the lip at the top of the created pouch being too big).  I have gained a bit of weight (almost half of what I lost initially).  I am just wondering how successful you have all been at losing weight and feeling restriction after your revisions to another rny?
shana lewis
on 3/4/11 3:28 am - TX
I had something similar happen to me...my intestine formed another stomach..go figure! I had my revision on Feb 7th and I am down over 20 pounds! The restriction is back, plus if I dont chew too well, I WILL throw up, something I NEVER had with my forst surgery..

Oh yeah, Im a RNY to RNY Revision...Good luck!

If you want a friend, show yourself friendly!!

Zee Starrlite
on 3/4/11 6:43 am
If you take time to research - you can use the search feature here.  There are a couple of people that have posted about this syndrome.

All the Best to you,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active