anyone with good outcome from ru-n-y to erny revision

randy S.
on 2/21/11 6:01 am - brooklyn, NY

Any long term erny patients out there that have been revised from old ru-n-y. 

MsBatt
on 2/21/11 6:41 am
That's 'roux en y'.

I thought you were trying to get revised to a DS. What happened?
randy S.
on 2/21/11 7:23 am - brooklyn, NY
i do want it very badly but dr. greenbaum is pushing for the erny.  There must be a reason.  But you are correct for the last 3 years I have been looking forward to getting the ds.  Dr. gagner left and Greenbaum really threw me for a loop 3 months ago.
lauralisi
on 2/27/11 7:03 am - Dona Ana, NM
One reason could be that a rny to ds revision is extremely difficult, time consuming, at times nerve-wracking and yes, not financially rewarding compared to the ERNY.  If you want a DS, get a DS.  There is no reason to settle for an ERNY.  This is your health.  This is your last chance.  Look at the big picture.  Travel if you must.
May God bless you whatever your decision.
Deanne K.
on 2/21/11 8:16 am - Tucson, AZ
I was very successful with the ERNY as far as weight loss goes, to some this surgery is great.  This is not a reflection on my Dr. by any means.  I became malnourished because of a combination of colitis, diverticulosis and malabsorption.  I went 18 months and had no problems and then the colitis started.  My protein levels dropped quickly when this started. This is a problem none of my doctors could have predicted at the time I had my revision or my original surgery in 2004.  My protein levels in 2004 were always low and probably should have never had the surgery in the first place.  It took almost a year and 3 doctors to figure out that it was colitis.  Some people do really well without any complications, it just depends on your body and if you are compliant with the protein supplements and vitamins.  You will have to supplement protein majorly (150-200 gm/DAY) in order to keep the protein levels up and take the vits. just like a DS.  Being malnurished and on TPN is not fun, but it did save my life.

If you have the option, I would say check out the DS, though the DS also can cause some of the same problems as the ERNY in malabsorption.  Research majorly.  ERNY is not for everyone as it has it's pro/cons just like any of the surgeries.  I had my common channel re-lengthened  in December and I haven't gotten the first set of labs back yet.  It was lengthened to over 200cm from 90.  I am hoping this did the trick and I don't have to have another surgery to completely reverse it.  Please think about this and all of your options before you make a decision.  If you want more information please PM me.
Biking1
on 2/26/11 12:29 am
A question for you and/or Deanne (original poster): what's an ERNY, as opposed to a RNY? Thanks in advance for your answer/s!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/11 6:08 am - San Jose, CA
Who did your revision?  Are you SURE your cc was originally made 90 cm?  Because at least one of Schlesinger's ERNY patients who was revised for malnutrition by a different surgeon was found to have been given a 20 CM CC!!

You might want to investigate this and consider suing if this was what happened to you.
smileyjamie72
on 2/22/11 2:24 am - Palmer, AK

TRAVEL if you have to!!!!!  It is NOT too late to change surgeons!!!!

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

ginau
on 2/27/11 11:16 am - mesa, AZ

Hi Chocolate

I am a ERNY also - Since 2008 90 cm common channel - no real issue's to speak of -- smelly bowel odor if I eat too much red meat would be the worst part of it.   I lost 125 lbs with my Laproscopic Rny -  stopped after a year  and then with ERNY i am down another 75= 200 total loss

I know Deanne and agree with what she wrote - explore all your options. make the choice that is right for you.. delay surgery if your completely  comfortable..  If I had done more research  before my orgiginal surgery I would have gone with a D.S   But also  my original surgeon did not give me that option - guess she didnt believe in the  D.S? but I hear now she is learning how to perform them . 

whatever surgery you go with - you must stay true to  monitoring your labs , faithfull to your vitamins and Protein comsumption.  

I have heard all the other story's too - good, bad and ugly - Do your research and keep an open mind - not everyones body reacts the same way  to same situations.  also make sure to know whats in your family history. it can make a differance later on.

Best wish's for a successful revision

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active