Opinion on my chances of revision? Former bandsters

TamaraL
on 2/22/11 10:31 am
Do not think of yourself as a failure.  The band failed you, you didn't fail the band.  It took a long time for me to figure that one out and I had doubts right up to a week or  2 before the surgery. 

My doctor was very good with me and explaining that the band isn't for everyone.  I had major heart burn with the band even with no fluid in the band.  I had pain and it caused a low heart rate.

Tamara

azucar323
on 2/23/11 7:26 am - Mayfield, PA
Tamara Question for you. (and for anyone else who wants to answer..LOL) DId you ever have a burning feeling in your stomach?

After 2 years i'm now having a problem with excess acid and curious if this happened to anyone else and what they did. TO clarify there's no reflux just burning and I had a scope done and I don't have ulcers

~*~ Let Your Freak Flag Fly ~*~
It's not a Lap-Band it's a leash for my inner Wild Woman!

TamaraL
on 2/23/11 8:24 am
yes, I had excess acid.  THey actually can do a ph test.  my new stomach with the band tended to produce too much acid and my stomach burned all the time.  only had minimal damage to the esophagus from reflux. 

Tamara

WASaBubbleButt
on 3/2/11 1:27 am - Mexico
On February 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM Pacific Time, azucar323 wrote:
Tamara Question for you. (and for anyone else who wants to answer..LOL) DId you ever have a burning feeling in your stomach?

After 2 years i'm now having a problem with excess acid and curious if this happened to anyone else and what they did. TO clarify there's no reflux just burning and I had a scope done and I don't have ulcers

Some studies are showing that with the band 1/3 of patients will develop reflux. :o(

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Michelle F.
on 2/25/11 11:22 am
I also had 2 band slips and I'm revising to the sleeve on Tuesday.  I had to do another Nutritional and Psych consult but only because I switched surgeons...my original surgeon is a band guy and I wanted someone who was really experienced in revisions, expecially band to sleeves.  Once it was submitted to my insurance (Federal BCBS) it only took a week to be approved.

I spent way too much time not being able to keep food down...you didn't fail, your band failed you!  I've never had GERD but I always had an acid feeling in my stomach once my band slipped, almost like an empty hungry feeling but not quite.  I can't wait to get this band out before it causes any more damage to my stomach and esophagus.

What are you thinking of revising to? Make sure your surgeon is experienced in revisions, they're much more complicated than virgin WLS.
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

imaneed2lose
on 2/25/11 11:47 pm
Hi All,
Its very difficult to wrap your mind around YOU not being the reason for failure since its just ANOTHER failed attempt at weight loss in a succession of failures.  It took me coming here and seeing that other people had a failed lap band to even consider that MAYBE it was not me. As a matter of fact, I think the fact that masses of people are coming forward with failed lap band is a result of the boom in banding 4-5 years ago when the band was constantly adverstised. Now after a number of years and a life filled with constant band-related problems we are seeking relief and the reality is apparent, the band has issues.

I am in the process of seeking a revision to RNY. I have had a consult and my issurance required the psych and NUT visit. I will be meeting with the surgeon again this week. I pray this is when we send everything in for approval. Thats gonna be the toughest part of this process.

I hope we all can move forward from here and be healthier in the end.
azucar323
on 2/27/11 10:05 am - Mayfield, PA
I'm looking to revise to RNY...kind of a go big or go home mentality. I want the malsorbtive factor since I'm turning 38 in march. My metabolism isn't what it use to be and i'd like that extra help.

~*~ Let Your Freak Flag Fly ~*~
It's not a Lap-Band it's a leash for my inner Wild Woman!

ginau
on 2/27/11 11:21 am - mesa, AZ

Please reconsider that...   in my honest opinion - restriction is better. you dont want to mess around with too much malabsoption. tranfusion/ infusions can be painfull and costly- hair , nails, teeth are just a few things that suffer.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Ladytazz
on 2/28/11 4:21 am
Are you aware that that malabsorption of calories pretty much goes away after a year or so?  After that all you are left with is malabsorption of vitamins and whatever restriction you have left.  If you really are counting on malabsorption to make up for a slow metabolism then you should look into the DS.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

kellydv
on 2/26/11 8:22 am - Watertown, MA
I had my band in 9/2008 and it failed by late 2009.  Moved to a new city, sought out a new surgeon who actually listened to me when I said I had no restriction and was having pain.  Did an upper GI and learned my band was leaking!

My insurance approved the removal and subsequent RNY that I just had on 2/15/11.  My surgeon did the band removal first and then would have done the RNY 12 weeks later after healing but then I had to have another unexpected surgery.  Needless to say we decided to wait until after the holidays.

I'm very happy with my decision, recovery is going nicely and I'm already down 20 lbs!!! 

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck!
Most Active