Opinion on my chances of revision? Former bandsters

azucar323
on 2/20/11 5:19 am - Mayfield, PA
Just wondering what type of struggle you had to go from one wls  another.

I had my band done in 2008 Since then i have slipped twice. I just had my band unfilled a third time due to a burning sentation in my stomach due to excess acid.

In march of 2010 I was down to 219lb.s I am now back up to 258.  My band was a constant struggle and was never effective for me. I never got that "full feeling" after 1/2 cup of food. i never had difficulty eating certain foods and was never tight in the morning.

Just wondering what you all had to do before getting switched from lap band to your new surgery

~*~ Let Your Freak Flag Fly ~*~
It's not a Lap-Band it's a leash for my inner Wild Woman!

Hislady
on 2/20/11 6:58 am - Vancouver, WA
I haven't had it myself but from what I've read here there is a good chance it will be covered since you have had actual medical problems with your current band. If your ins. covers bariatric surgery then it should just be a matter of getting the revision of your choice. Sometimes it reguires appealing but it is usually OKd eventually. Best of luck to you!
ckb70
on 2/20/11 7:21 am - Morrisville, PA
I just got my insurance approval and surgery date of April 12.  I did not have any problems with my insurance because I was considered a technical failure and not a clinical failure...the band failed me.  They did want to see my medical notes and make sure that I was compliant with doctors visits and nut visits.  (Personally I found silly as they are the insurance company that paid for the visits...LOL)Sounds like you are a technical failure also and should not have any problems as long as your insurance covers revisions.  Good luck to you and let us technical failures become big losers!!!! 

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
TamaraL
on 2/20/11 8:43 am
I would call your insurance and see if they cover revisions and what the requirement is.  ONce I decided on the revision it did not take long for me to get approval.  I had had so many problems it was cheaper for me to have the revision than for me to keep messing with the lap band. 

I lost 54 pounds with the band and then came to a complete stop for almost a year before having the revision and I am so glad I revised.

Tamara

azucar323
on 2/20/11 10:28 am - Mayfield, PA
Thanks for your advice everyone I'm going to wait and let the dr call the insurance about the revision so I don't stay something that might hurt my chances.

I'll let you know what happens. I go see him tomorrow

terilynn112
on 2/20/11 10:33 am - maryland, NY
Insurance wasn't an issue for me. It took going through the program from the first step again.. I had to start with the seminar (or new patient orientation), and then to the multitude of tests they require (based on your individual health issues). Psych, gi work up, blood tests, ekg, chest xrays, egd, sleep studies (mine was 2 yrs old, so i was exempt. However, they now have added it back in the requirement, as I found out while recovering I have sleep apnea... well 35 pounds ago I did. Nutricianal meetings.

It took me about 6 months to go from seminar to surgery.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/11 3:01 am
I had the same issues that you did. My band slipped twice. My doctor said that some people are not meant to have the lapband. I converted to RNY on 2/8. I never had any issues with my insurance. It was approved right away. The only requirements my surgeon required was to go to a RNY class and get approval from a respiratory doctor. It was pretty easy for me!
azucar323
on 2/21/11 9:28 am - Mayfield, PA
I have a bit more info. I was told that my insurance is one of the more difficult ones to get approval through..lovely.....

so  I have to decide if I want to do all this and then get told yoiu're not approved no surgery..I have to decide if I want to make the investment.  about 850.00 just to get to the point where I can submit for approval.

Lots to think on

Kilaani
on 2/21/11 12:30 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I paid out of pocket for the band, I paid out of pocket for the revision to the DS. I had my band in 2/98 ... it leaked after 6'ish months. I regained the 170lbs I had lost over the next 7 years, pretty disgusted with the vomiting, hunger, and irritation plus the costs of fills.

Best decision ever - revision to DS 3/10/05. Lost 293lbs now and keeping it off/still trending downwards. Requires constant vigilance, vitamins, and labwork....but worth it to go from bmi 73.3 to 24.

Jill - revision - band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain
440/140/149  hw/cw/gw - 5'5" -300lbs -- bmi 73.2 to 24.8 :) GOAL MET 10/26/10!!.... Even made 140 September 2012. Been ranging 4-6lbs from 144-146 since then. Back to 140 December 2012, hoping to see it again after I feel better and start working out. 

azucar323
on 2/22/11 6:39 am - Mayfield, PA
thanks for sharing!! gives me hope. Realizing i'm not a failure and maybe the band just wasn't for me.

Most Active