Revision lap band to VSG

pmartinez
on 2/19/11 5:42 am
Hi I am having my revision done on 3/11/11. I would like to know if any one has had this revision done before? I would like to know your healing process and what you ate after surgery.
jokenaround
on 2/20/11 7:48 am
Hello,

I had a revision from a band to the sleeve almost 3 years ago.  It wasn't much different except I had to stay a day longer because I had some complications with the removal.  Everything was fine, they just wanted to keep an eye on me.

I healed just like the band and had to basically ate the same with the clear liquids, soft foods, etc.  You still have to allow your tummy to heal.  I loved my sleeve!  I just eat less but don't have the gagging feeling I had all the time with the band.  I can now eat anything I want and there is the problem I now have run into.

I was diabetic prior to the band.  The band didn't help much at all.  The sleeve kind of did for a few years.  Now my diabetes is back and I can't take any oral medications because they make me sick.  Now I'm havinf it revised in April to the RNY.  That usually takes the diabetes away for good and that is what I want.

The other thing you may want to ask about the revision is the chances of not losing as much weight as you would like.  I was 225 at the time of the band.  Got down to 186 when it was revised and now have only lose only 20 lbs since the sleeve.  I keep being told that once you have a revision you tend not to lose as much weight as we might have if it weren't for the band.  I don't know how true it is or just something they told me to appease me because I wanted to lose more.  If I don't lose another lb I will just be happy to have the diabetes gone!!

I love the band and if it weren't for the diabetes I would be thrilled with it!  Good luck,  Hope you have some luck hearing from people.  Did you post this in the Sleeve messageboard?  There are some great people on there and I'm sure there are alot of them that have had the sleeve and can help you too.  Good Luck!  Joanne 
WASaBubbleButt
on 3/5/11 5:26 am - Mexico
On February 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM Pacific Time, jokenaround wrote:
Hello,

I had a revision from a band to the sleeve almost 3 years ago.  It wasn't much different except I had to stay a day longer because I had some complications with the removal.  Everything was fine, they just wanted to keep an eye on me.

I healed just like the band and had to basically ate the same with the clear liquids, soft foods, etc.  You still have to allow your tummy to heal.  I loved my sleeve!  I just eat less but don't have the gagging feeling I had all the time with the band.  I can now eat anything I want and there is the problem I now have run into.

I was diabetic prior to the band.  The band didn't help much at all.  The sleeve kind of did for a few years.  Now my diabetes is back and I can't take any oral medications because they make me sick.  Now I'm havinf it revised in April to the RNY.  That usually takes the diabetes away for good and that is what I want.

The other thing you may want to ask about the revision is the chances of not losing as much weight as you would like.  I was 225 at the time of the band.  Got down to 186 when it was revised and now have only lose only 20 lbs since the sleeve.  I keep being told that once you have a revision you tend not to lose as much weight as we might have if it weren't for the band.  I don't know how true it is or just something they told me to appease me because I wanted to lose more.  If I don't lose another lb I will just be happy to have the diabetes gone!!

I love the band and if it weren't for the diabetes I would be thrilled with it!  Good luck,  Hope you have some luck hearing from people.  Did you post this in the Sleeve messageboard?  There are some great people on there and I'm sure there are alot of them that have had the sleeve and can help you too.  Good Luck!  Joanne 

~~That usually takes the diabetes away for good and that is what I want.~~

No, it doesn't.  Studies are now showing that when you have bypass you typically go into remission immediately but then it comes back years down the road.  What I have not been able to find out is if it is due to regain or if it is happening to those who do not regain as well.

DS is the best for resolving diabetes.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
_rebecca
on 3/5/11 3:15 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I had my revision December 27.  It was a little hard the first week drinking and I did have some pain.  After that, things got so much better.  I am now two months out and I LOVE my sleeve.  It is so nice to have restriction and to not be controlled by food anymore! 
WASaBubbleButt
on 3/5/11 5:27 am - Mexico
On February 19, 2011 at 1:42 PM Pacific Time, pmartinez wrote:
Hi I am having my revision done on 3/11/11. I would like to know if any one has had this revision done before? I would like to know your healing process and what you ate after surgery.

It was pretty much the same as getting the band.  I had it done all in one surgery.  My doc's post op diet is 10 days of clears, 10 days of fulls, and 10 days of soft foods.  But I see he may have changed that for revision folks, I've seen a couple people posting that he extended it for those people.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Michelle F.
on 3/6/11 1:31 am
I just had my band to sleeve revision on Tuesday and thankfully no complications.  I was on clear liquids until Friday, now I'm on full liquids for 3 weeks, then I progress to one week of puree and slowly go from there.

I had my band taken out at the same time as my sleeve and my esophagus is so dilated from the band that we're hoping a few months on a PPI will help that.

I'm having some mild pain, mainly gas, but it's no worse than my gallbladder surgery was.  I've also lost 13 pounds since starting clear liquids 6 days ago!

Goood luck!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Most Active