Revision from VBG to RNY approved

Cathy G.
on 2/18/11 12:39 pm - Douglasville, GA
Wow, I can not believe how smooth the process was to getting the approval and my surgery scheduled. I have been putting this off for 20 years and now I will be having surgery on March 15th.
Now the next part begins, learning all about protein powders and drinks. I hate milk so this might be a challenge. I am so glad to have the support groups and the Internet something that was not around the first time. How things change in 25 years.
If you have any tips I would be glad to hear them. I am just so excited. Life is Good
jokenaround
on 2/20/11 7:50 am
Hello,

May I ask why the revision from the sleeve to the RNY?  I am also having that done and would love to know why you have choosen to do this too.

Thanks so much!!  Joanne
StacysMom
on 2/21/11 2:15 pm
 VBG is NOT the sleeve.  VBG is Vertical Band Gastroplasty.  I think it was a type of stomach stapling done many years ago.  

"VSG" is the sleeve:  Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.   
Bobbie D.
on 2/20/11 8:27 am
Hi Cathy,

Congratulations! I finally broke down 10 years after my VBG and checked into revision in August. I had approval within 4 days of my consult. I couldn't believe it was that easy either. I did have a camera put down there and told that the band was so tight it was no wonder only slider foods would go through it.

I had my revision to RNY on 9/1/10. I will have my 6 month follow up this week. I'm interested with how well I'm absorbing the vitamins and supplements that I'm finally good at remembering :)

You might want to find some protein shake that you like for the beginning, but my doctor wanted me off of them as soon as possible and getting the required protein through foods so I would have the full sensation instead of the liquid just running right through.

Good luck to you!!

rebeccaford
on 2/21/11 1:57 pm - Honolulu, HI
Yeah!  Getting rid of that nasty VBG was the best thing for me ever!!  I ended up having to have a whole gastrectomy after having a whole new pouch being made.  Day 1 my terrible acid reflux was gone and within 3 mo. my black esophogus (from the acid erosion) was already pink-ish again. 

I've lost 155 lbs and I'm pretty much at goal. 

Congrats on your surgery date!

PS...I dump pretty bad (no more than 7g of sugar - even fructose - so about 1/4 an apple is all I can eat without getting sick) and my body does not like milk.  So after surgery take it easy with the yogurt and milk just in case. 
Rebecca
3/23/2003 Open VBG
4/6/2009 Open RNY Revision
6/08/2011  - I've lost 155 lbs! size 8-10

Cathy G.
on 2/21/11 10:41 pm - Douglasville, GA
Thanks everyone for the advice, I am starting to get worried about the surgery. Your encouragement makes me think that I am doing the right thing. I appreciate all of the tips. I can not wait . When I had the vertical banded gastroplasty it was the best thing out there. It never really worked for me, I have struggled with health problems ever since . Lossing weight has been almost impossible. I struggle to maintain my weight. I also have terrible reflux. I already dump so i can imagine how bad it will be after the surgery. Thank you guys for all of the tips.

Cathy
coreena691
on 2/26/11 12:27 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
Hi Cathy,

Just letting you know, I too am heading for a revision (I meet with my surgeon on Thursday & I expect to get RNY)  in the next month or two.  I had VBG in 1991 and all was fairly good, until the last couple years with food stuck issues.  Now my staples have let go and have no restriction.

I have researched and asked others about their vbg-rny revision and they all say it's the best decision they've ever made!  I'm excited!

Good luck, and hopefully I won't be far behind you in our new journey!!!

Coreena

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

Most Active