APPROVAL!!!!

CAYDENBUG
on 2/26/11 6:29 am
What is erny?  Just wondering.  No surgery date for me yet but I'm so confused and undecided between the VSG and RNY......  It's driving me crazy, the fear of regain is the worst, I just want to do the right one the first time and my Dr is giving me the final choice....
shele
on 2/26/11 8:54 pm

MY erny  was a revison from a failed rny.  I have the same original pouch ( with a now wide open stoma) and a 120 common channel).  I lost to within 20 lbs of a normal bmi the first time, regained  around 60 lbs of the  105 I had lost.  This time around  I have lost right at 50 pounds. I cant seem to loose no matter what I do.  The good part of it is I can at least eat more normally.  I litteraly gained the weight back by eating string cheese and whole wheat crackers.  The bad thing is, I still can't eat dense protein, I have the same problems as before surgery, I get hungry very quickly after eating.  I never feel satisfied.

There is so much I could tell you , but it would all be from MY experience,  I have been on this forum for quite a while, and have learned alot THE HARD WAY!

What I emplore you to do is research EVERY option available , even if it is excluded in your insurance policy, even if a great surgeon tells your from thier experience that one is better than another.  DO NOT let a surgeon pick the surgery they say is best for you!

YOU do the research,  not just the forums... read medical journals.  NO ONE should lay on a table and not know EXACTLY what the surgeon is doing. EX.. do you know the differtent limbs in the digestive track and what functions they perform?  If not,  you're not ready for this.

I say all of this from PERSONAL experience. I did it not once, but twice!  The first time I just was so miserable that I was ready to do whatever THE GREAT surgeon told me to do.  I am in no way bashing either of my surgeon's skills.

I had never personally read medical FACTS about the ds, had only been told t that it was uncontrollable bowel movemnets. would die from malnutrion etc.  After all the RNY was and still is The Gold standard.  Little did I know that there was such a thing as PLATINUM! 

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

shele
on 2/25/11 10:25 pm, edited 2/25/11 10:24 pm

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

Michelle F.
on 2/26/11 1:33 am
I'm revising from band (after 2 slips) to the sleeve on Tuesday after doing a ton of research, talking to way too many people who have gained their weight back after RNY, as well as my former band surgeon and current revision surgeon telling me that the RNY has the highest regain stats.  I don't feel that I need malabsorption, if I did I would have the DS.  Plus I'm terrible with my vitamins.

You have to make sure that you know that you will have to watch your portions and choices your whole life with either the sleeve or RNY, it's just a tool that will help us.  But after having a pouch with the band, I don't ever want another pouch again, which is what you will have with RNY.

Good luck!
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

Most Active