APPROVAL!!!!

ckb70
on 2/17/11 7:38 am - Morrisville, PA

I've been approved to remove the crap band to VSG!!!!  My surgery date is April 12!!!  I hope all works out and there is not too much damage from the crap band and I can have the VSG.  Now I'm really wondering if I should have the RNY and not the sleeve.  

I'm really letting people know out there that there are options and insurance companies will approve revisions.  My BMI is 36 and I was worried that they would not approve the revision if I were under a 40 BMI due to bad information I read from some post.  I understand that each insurance policy is different and it will all depend.  Try and don't let other people's comments keep you from trying. 

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
media604
on 2/17/11 10:51 am - GA
We are at the same place! I saw my surgeon Wed. and she is going to submit for a band to VSG revision for me except I have had 7 yrs. of struggles with the band. I was wide open or too tight and throwing up....no in between at all. I even had a revision to the new band after a slip 2.5 yrs. ago. I have kept off 50 lbs. but still have 70 to go.

I am so struggling with whether to go rny or not. I'm worried about regaining with the sleeve due to the fact that there is no malabsorbancy and I know how easy it is to pack on lbs. with sweets, even small amounts of sweets each day or so. Also I can't find any real longer term data on 10 yr. weight loss with the VSG or how much long term data there is out there on performance long term with band to vsg revisions.

On the other hand, I can also find lots of rny folks who have regained 50 lbs. also soooo.......

What to do??
ckb70
on 2/18/11 8:58 pm - Morrisville, PA
I know!!!!  My surgeon thinks I will do well with the sleeve.  He also said it will depend on the condition of my stomach whether I get the sleeve or rny when he is taking out the band.  He said that I'm not heavy enough to get the Duodenal Switch and I would lose too much weight...LOL. 

I've had the fluid out of my band now for 3 weeks...I don't know how to explain it but I feel my stomach now and there is always a dull pain or feeling of over fullness.  I'm not sure what it is and I'm worried that the band has eroded into the stomach or something. I guess I should call the doctor. 

We all have good intentions when it comes to food but some how all the bad habits creep back.  I know a few people who have had RNY and have put a lot of weight back on.  I also see what they eat and know why.  My friend had the sleeve last may and is down 116 pounds...still has a way to go.  I have another friend and she is very large, he doctor said she will lose about 70% of her extra weight and will have to have the 2nd part of the surgery done after that to lose the rest of the weight...huh?  From what I can find out it is (RNY) so she will start malabsorption.  Why not just do RNY in the first place?  Not really sure...must be a good reason.

Anyone know???

Ladytazz
on 2/19/11 4:52 am
Ladytazz
on 2/19/11 4:55 am
Some surgeons prefer to do the surgery in 2 parts, especially if the person has a very high BMI.  I really don't think it is necessary unless there are some other health issues going on.
Usually the sleeve is the first part of the DS.  If her surgeon wants to do a RNY on her she should find another surgeon.  It doesn't make sense to have a sleeve and revise to a RNY when she is half way to the DS anyway.  Also, she needs to make sure her insurance will pay for another surgery.  She may not meet their BMI requirements anymore.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

kellydv
on 2/26/11 8:09 am - Watertown, MA
I had my lapband removed in July 2010 and had RNY just last week on 2/15.  I'm very happy with my decision.

My surgeon had told me though that if there was too much scarring from the band and/or another abdominal surgery I had last summer though that he would do a VSG.  Luckily (for me anyway), scarring was minimal and I had the RNY.  I would have settled for the VSG if it was necessary but I too wanted that malabsorption piece and the faster weight loss.

I'm down 20lbs already and don't feel any deprivation (although I'd be lying if I said I can't wait to actually "chew" something more than my vitamin!).

Whatever your decision, best of luck to you.

Kelly
(deactivated member)
on 2/20/11 12:18 pm
Personally I wish I'd done the DS at the beginning, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. I gained back all my lost weight after having RNY. I think the problem, at least for me, is that I need the malabsorption that the DS gives, as well as what it does for a person as far as insulin and blood sugar goes.

There are many options out there and insurances are now paying for many of these options. I would hate to see anyone end up like me. If you're considering RNY, take some time and look into DS as well. You have nothing to lose by learning about it.

Lynda
ckb70
on 2/25/11 8:02 pm - Morrisville, PA
My doctor said I'm not a candidate for DS and I would lose too much weight....I'm 110 lbs overweight.  I have read where there are liver complications after having the DS, including needing a transplant.  There is another person here that I've talked to where her doctor is extremely against the DS and believes overtime we will see a large trend of patients with liver damage from having the DS. 

My doctor did say that the DS is amazing for patients who have diabetes, on the operating table their diabetes goes away.  IDK...I've seen/heard "liver damage" mentioned on more that one occasion with the DS. 

levittown_loser
on 2/25/11 10:45 pm - Levittown, PA
We have the same surgeon.   He is a skilled cutter ... but I feel he and his practice make many surgical  choices based on schedule (time) and money.   It's sad ... but this is a business.  He is not doing this all out of the kindness of his heard ya know.  

You really need to look at the options available ... NOT just through Dr. B.    Only YOU know what you will be successful with post op.   Only you know if 1. you are a good dieter and 2. if you can continue to diet long term for your life.      

This "rumor" you heard about the DS and liver damage is interesting as I've not heard about it.  It's certainly not a norm for a DS patient and could most likely happen with any bariatric procedure.  

Malabsorption is my long term "diet" buddy.    I need my metabolism fixed.   Thank God I found a surgery to do that.  THEN I made my surgeon choice.

Tom

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

ckb70
on 2/25/11 11:06 pm - Morrisville, PA

Not a rumor...I've also read it in my insurance policy. "In addition, there have been several case reports of liver failure resulting in death or liver transplant."  (BCBSNJ Medical Policy 022). 

Most Active