sorry a little long

Hamida D.
on 2/14/11 8:59 am - jacksonville, FL
Hi,

I dont post much but I am a little confused.  I had lapband surgery a few years ago at first all was well.  I lost slowly but I was content because my other health issues started to regulate.  My blood sugars were normal my bp was normal my cholesterol was in normal range and my irregular heartbeat seemed ok.  I think after years of having lapband and following the rules I lost about 25 pounds.  I am not complaining because before the surgery my health was out of control. 

I have started to have some problems though.  During this time I have either been too tight or too loose.  I started having bad reflux and after many appointments asking to have it looked at my doctor finally agreed to do an upper gi.  That test showed the band was ok but I had  a dialated esophagus.  Even then he didnt remove the salin right away.  The doctor basically adjusted my fill while he had was doing the upper gi.  I went home and my symptoms never subsided.  I got to the point where I couldnt swallow my saliva,  I went back in and had him take everything out.  He said this would give my esophagus time to relax.

During the time that I have been unfilled I have gained some weight back.  Out of frustration and just being tired of all the problems with the band.  I went to another doctor for a second opinion.  The new doctor does several surguries he said the band does not work for everyone.  He discussed the sleeve and rny with me.  He also ordered a copy of my upper gi and a egd.  I am interested in pursuing another weightloss option but feel like I am letting my original surgeon down.  My husband has just recently had band surgery and is supportive of whatever i decide but also thinks that we can work together.

I guess I am just interested in what you guys think.   

pineview01
on 2/14/11 12:07 pm, edited 2/15/11 9:23 am - Davison, MI
I am at the same point as you.  Sound just like my story.  I had done research and would have liked a sleeve but my doc/insurance didn't cover it.  Now my center does the sleeve but my insurance doesn't cover it at this time.  I am trying to pu**** as someone has to be the first.  I can only go to the one center.  My only other option is self pay.  I am so sold on the sleeve, I'm thinking about it.

My daughter had planned and had been approved for the band and than got pg.  While she was going thru that, I got my band.  After she saw what I went thru she got MY surgery and is doing WONDERFUL.

I won't have a RNY.  I don't want to deal with the malabssorpstion.  I also don't want to deal with any more artificial openings.  Good luck.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hamida D.
on 2/14/11 10:05 pm - jacksonville, FL
Thanks for your response.  As I read the boards I am starting to come across more and more people in the same boat as we are.  I go see the doctor today to schedule the EGD,  Once that is done we should know exactly what is going on. 

I guess one good thing is that my insurance does cover revisions.  They dont cover the sleeve though.  What my doctor did find out though is that if he goes in to do rny and that is not the best for me he can change to the sleeve and insurance will cover it.  I never heard of that but they sent that over in writing.

I have about 80 pounds or so to lose.  I am just about at the weight I was before I git the band.  The biggest thing with me is that my diabetes and high blood pressure have started getting out of control again.  With the band I had pretty much gotten off all my meds now I am slowly getting back on all of them. 

Good luck to you as well and I will post what happens at my appt today

pineview01
on 2/15/11 9:26 am - Davison, MI
That is really wild.  They won't coverit up front but, will once they are in?  You'd think they would just schedual everyone for a RNY and than to a sleeve.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active