Lapband Question & Is revision unlikely if you are not longer obese?

D. Scott
on 2/13/11 10:33 am
RNY with
I have had a lapband for nearly two years (problem free) but have been having symptoms for several months that have finally been identified as a likely ulcer but which could just as easily be a band erosion. I have an endoscopy scheduled just as soon as my insurance approves it, so I will know soon enough, but I am just wondering if it is erosion and they have to remove my band am I just left to deal with it or do insurance companies cover revision even if you have not regained the weight? 

Also if you have been through something similar with your band can you please share your experience with me?

Thanks!

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

charmanderz26
on 2/14/11 5:23 am

Revision surgery is NOT based on your current weight or if you are at your personal/doctor goals.  Revision surgery is medically necessary if it interfers with you and your body.  I just recently had revision surgery on Jan. 20th.  Mine had slipped and was necessary.  The doctors have a way to word things to get the insurance company to approve them.  They worded mine to make them think I was not able to eat and having all these complications, but I wasn't. I was just gaining weight because my band had slipped down and allowed me to consume more.  I doubt you will have any problems getting approved.  Also, you shouldn't have to pay a co-pay for your revision surgery. I thought I would have to, but I didn't and I'm 3 years out from my 1st banding.  GOOD LUCK!

D. Scott
on 2/14/11 6:48 am
RNY with
Thank you for the information!! Did you get another band or did you go with another procedure?

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

lindan54
on 2/20/11 9:08 am
HI iHAVE HAD MY BAND FOR 5 YEARS AND WILLB E GOING FOR A REVISION IN mAY.i AHVE A FLOATING HIATEL HERNIA WHICH WHEN IT ACTS UP PRSSES ON THE BAND AND EVEN THOGUHTHERE IS HALF THE FILL I USED TO HAVE SOEMTIMES I CAN'T EAT.MY DR SAID A SLONG ASSHE IS FIXING THE EHRNIA I SHOULD AHVE A REVISION AS THIS ONE LEAKS SOEMTIMES AND THE NEW ONES ADJUST SO MUCH EASER.HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE APPRVOED.I WAS WONSDERING ABOUT THE PAIN AND RCOUPERATION TIME AS COMPARED TO THE FIRST BAND.ANYTHING YOU CAN TELL ME WOULD HELP.THANK YOU. LINDA
TamaraL
on 2/14/11 10:05 am

Sara,  I had my band 2 months before yours and it was a long road to me finally getting the band out.   If you have a ulcer then they will probable want to remove the band and let the stomach heal.  Call your insurance and see if they cover revisions and what surgeries they will cover.  I would have to think hard about a revision and which surgery I would want if I was at goal weight or close to it. 

Hopefully your surgeon will have some answers for you when you go for follow up.  The endoscopy will help them identify where the ulcer is if that is what is wrong

Good luck

pineview01
on 2/14/11 11:52 am - Davison, MI
I"m going thru this too.  I started having problems a year out though.  My surgeon is saying I have to start over with a new phych e-val.  I don't understand why when I have medical problems.  Just starting down a long road.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

charmanderz26
on 2/14/11 11:28 pm, edited 2/14/11 11:28 pm
I read about your unfill and fills.  We are in the same boat. I never received a fill after my unfil in October 2010.  I had revision surgery on Jan. 20th. In that time I went from 215 to 247.  I've managed to stay around 238-240, but until I get filled again, it's a constant battle.  This time around, I've learned the correct way to use the band. I will now measure out all my foods and eat only those portions I've measured. I used to rely on my stomach/band to tell me when I'm full. Sometimes I could eat more and sometimes I couldn't.  Set portions and eating only those portions are the best and only way to keep from having band difficulties and avoiding stretching out the pouch.  I feel like I'm on egg shells now with this revision surgery.  It's a new adventure to me, though the same procedure.  I hope to be much more successful now that I have the correct information and knowledge to make this tool work.  I pray I do not become the abusive bandster that I was before. 
Ms Shell
on 2/15/11 2:31 am - Hawthorne, CA

It MIGHT be trickier since your current weight is BELOW what they qualify for WLS but all you can do is try.  There was a land when I first came to OH back in 2007 who was in your same boat and was at goal, losing her band but her insurance would NOT cover a WLS because she was at goal.  She ended up self-paying for the sleeve.  That was YEARS ago so maybe things have changed.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/11 7:50 am
I just had my revision from lapband to RNY 1 1/2 weeks ago, because of multiple slippages. Insurance covered mine, even though I did not meet the insurance company's requirements of being morbidly obese. My surgeon worded the request letter to make it sound like I will probably put all of the weight back on if the band was removed with no follow up surgery (which was probably likely).
Most Active