Contemplating Revision Post Reux-en-Y

Kamy
on 2/13/11 7:25 am
Good day everyone. It's been a very long time since I've logged into OH, so bare with me as I become familiar and make updates to the new profile. I'm going to try to move all of my "old" stuff over, but it may take a few days.

I'm 7 years post roux-en-y surgery and although I believe the surgery was successful, it wasn't as successful as I had hoped it would be. I started out at 330 pounds the day of surgery. My lowest weight was 185. Once I hit that low, I had a bounce back in weight and was maintaining at about 195 - 200 for several years. Just over two years ago I began seeing the scale creep up little by little and now maintain between 220 - 225. Yes, better than where I was, but NOT where I want to be.

Post surgery, I never got sick from anything I ate. I've never "dumped". Essentially could eat anything, just in small portions. Over the past few years it's almost as if I never had surgery as it seems I can eat regular (not large) portions of food and not be phased with the full feeling. I've continued to excercise and watch what I eat, but I can't seem to drop the weight. Wondering if there is something wrong with the original surgery or my pouch has grown or what.

Anyway, I'm looking to make connections with others who share similar experiences. Would like to connect with people both pre-revisional surgery and post-revisional surgery. Looking for any insight on the process, successes, struggles, etc.

Thank you,
Kamy
kim W.
on 2/13/11 10:53 pm - west des moines, IA
I am in the same boat but have gained all the way back to where I started.
First I went back to the surgeons office and talked with them. They started with a CAT scan to see if they could see anything there, then a Upper GI. Most of it looks normal from the scans.
I do have a big hernia that needs fixed. I am going to a new surgeon, was hoping for a DS revision but getting a ERNY due some different things they saw on the scans. Having three things done at once, ERNY, hernia repair and Panni removal.

If you can look into the DS, it seems the way to go if it is feasible

Recommend starting with your surgeons office and going from there. Good luck

Start-Revision RNY 02/17/2012- 402#, 2 months- down 55 #, 3 months-339

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/11 12:57 am - Bayonne, NJ
Hi Kamy,

I had RNY in 2003, started out at about the same point as you, got down to around the same point as you, and then up to 221. I had the revision to the DS in Dec. 2009. I did so more to get rid of the RNY than because of weight loss, but the weight loss has been an added bonus. I had a problem with my RNY because of an added ring around the stoma that caused constant vomiting and esophageal erosion.

There aren't many doctors who can truly do a revision to a DS. There's a thread further down on this board with the names of the qualified, vetted DS revision surgeons. Many doctors will tell you that they perform the DS, get you into the office, and then talk you into something else. Pretty sad.

All the best of luck to you.
scstewart
on 2/14/11 6:05 am
Hi -
Just wanted to let you know that I have had the same experiences as you.  I went to the doctors, (Bariatric).  They did an endoscopy and discovered that my stoma was extremely enlarged.  The outlet from my small pouch to my intestines.  My pouch was still very tiny and intact.  The food I eat more or less empties right out of my stomach, thereby, I never feel satisfied.  I am looking for a doctor that will band over the stoma.  Then my original roux-en-y surgery will once again be effective.  Hope this helps.
Sharon
berryphila
on 2/16/11 8:55 am - Cherry Hill, NJ
I am in the same situation.  Had gastric bypass in 2003-- did very well-- lost 80 lbs-- kept off for 3- 4 years then put most of it back on.  Ating my doctor tomorrow for the second time to discuss revision surgery.  Don't know if the insurance company will approve.  I have beenfollowing my  ndoc's nutritionist for the last 3 months.  Hoping that will help.  If anyone knows anything about Keystone Health Plan East and it's approval process I would love some insight.  Kamy--  I will follow your progress and hope for the best!  Barbara
berryphila
on 2/16/11 9:00 am - Cherry Hill, NJ
Kamy-- just realized you and I had original surgery on the same day!
Most Active