Information Please

Brooke G.
on 2/12/11 1:36 am - IN
I had an RNY procedure done in December 2004 and lost 120 lbs putting me at about 180.  Right now I've gone back up to around 210 making my BMI 37ish. I'm looking into a surgery revision or tweak, but it seems like there are so many options.  I am hoping for some suggestions on procedures that have worked. I live in Northern Indiana if anyone has any information about a specific doctor or practice. 

Thanks so much, in advance!
lauralisi
on 2/12/11 2:36 am - Dona Ana, NM
Hi, Brooke,
I feel your pain.  Also, I commend you on your desire to act Now, before the situation gets too out of control.  I had a rny at 287#, lost 135#, started gaining, had a StomaphyX (ROSE)which did NOTHING, gained back up to 240# and was *desperate*.  I finally got some good info and had a revision to a DS.  Could not be happier. 
I want to spare *you* the pain I went through . Please read this post:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4319521/REVISION-PRE-OPS-ONLY-Post-ops-read-about-the-DS-at-your/
This lady says it better than I ever could.  I wish I knew her before I had my first syrgery.

Of course, the ultimate choice is yours, and you may choose another path despite the data.  But for your sake PLEASE consider what she has said.

Best wishes to you and if I can be of any help please do not hesitate to ask.

Lauralisi

Brooke G.
on 2/12/11 2:52 am, edited 2/12/11 2:54 am - IN
Thank you so much for the information! Were you able to have your revisions covered by insurance? I've already met my deductable for the year, so it would be great if this were a covered procedure.
lauralisi
on 2/12/11 6:01 am - Dona Ana, NM
No insurance coverage-completely self pay.  However, I'd rather have a new me than a new car
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/11 6:51 pm
You sound just like me. I had RNY in November, 2005, weighing in at 250 pounds. I lost 125 pounds...half my weight...and did great for two years.

Then, due to my having issues with hypothyroidism that wasn't under control, being on steroids for two years when I didn't need it, getting so sick from everything that I was literally bedridden, I gained back 100 pounds. I mean, I was so weak from everything that I couldn't even sit up. It's a long story and rather complicated, but trust me, it was bad.

So now I'm thinking something has to be done. I didn't get my guts rearranged just to get fat again! I feel like things are worse now. I'm fat AND I have to deal with nutrition issues. It sucks!

I've been looking into revising to a DS and it looks promising. However, I'm very early in the game here. I haven't even had my consult with my potential surgeon yet. (I see him on the 15th). I'm assuming he'll want to do a scope to see if anything has stretched or if there's some other problem with my RNY. I have to say I hope there's a problem because it's probably the only way I could get my insurance to pay for a revision.

Look into the possibility of DS. I'll tell you now to go to dsfacts.com because if you ask any DSers for info that's where they'll tell you to go. Also, on dsfacts.com there's a search feature that will help you find a surgeon.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about DS. I think there's a lot of confusion about an old surgery that isn't done anymore and people confuse the DS with that.

I haven't made any final decision on what I'm going to do yet, but I'll be happy to share what I've learned.

Lynda
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/11 12:26 am - Bayonne, NJ
I had RNY in 2003, got down to about 175, then up to 221 after years of yo-yo dieting. I revised to the DS in Dec. 2009, and I'm happy.
Most Active