Did I fail myself?

katiejuly
on 2/11/11 11:52 am
I hope it's ok I jump on in here and post. I really need support. I am 2 years post op and looking for a revison. I feel like  a failure. I had lost 60 pounds before surgery and did lose 145 pounds in the last 2 years. Some can say I was successful. I need to lose another 200 pounds until goal. And that just seems so unreachable.

I am considering a revision. I feel so lost. My doctor continues to remind me not to feel hopeless as most people who have reached goal had 100 to lose but the way I looked at it was if we go by body fat percentages lost everyone around me has surpassed me. I know my tool still works but it takes a lot more effort than in the beginning. I feel frustrated and hopeless.

Can anyone else relate? Has anyone else only lost 100-150 and still have a lot more to lose?
Ladytazz
on 2/11/11 1:50 pm
You have been very successful losing 200 lbs, which is great.  However at your BMI your best surgery would be a DS.  You would have malabsorption to help you lose the weight and keep it off.  You might want to check out the DS forum here and ask questions there and also check out dsfacts.com.  I assume you have a RNY?  It is very difficult to find a surgeon that is experiened in the RNY to DS revision.  I don't know where you live but you may have to travel but I think it would be worth it for you.
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/11 6:37 pm
I think some information is needed here. What surgery did you have and what was your starting weight/BMI?

I going to assume that you had RNY and that your BMI was over 50, right? 

I had RNY five years ago. I had only (only??) 125 pounds to lose and I lost it within two years. I made it to my goal weight and then some.

But then some bad things happened, I ended up on steroids for two years (It's a long, ugly, ugly story.) and I gained back 100 pounds. I too feel like a failure. I felt like this is what my body wants to do, it wants to be fat, so I'll just have to live with this and deal with the nutritional issues the best I can. Then I thought, wait a minute, maybe something could be done. So I hopped on here and began learning about the DS procedure. It looks promising.

From what I've learned, the DS is the most successful for those whose BMI is over 50. If I were you I'd go to dsfacts.com and read everything, and I mean everything there. I would also look to see which surgeons perform DS in your area.There's a search feature on dsfacts.com to help with that. Apparently there aren't a whole lot of surgeons who perform DS. I'm fortunate in that there is one only an hour away from me.

Keep us updated and don't give up the fight to control your obesity. If you were an alcoholic would you give up and say you can't change things? Of course not, because you know it's something that can be changed. Your weight problem is the same. Keep fighting and good luck to you.

Lynda
Most Active