Another Lap Band to RNY?

imaneed2lose
on 2/10/11 9:58 am
So, I have been on these boards for a few weeks now. I have a lap band that was put in 2/06...very very very limited success...probably the same as if I didnt have the band and dieted.

I didnt have slippage or erosion but I am completely intolerant to a fill. Initially, my port flipped over and they could not access it for fills. Then they found I was pregnant so I could not have the port surgically flipped.  I went through a pregnancy extremely tight and vomiting a lot.  I had the baby and within hours the band swelled shut.  I could not swallow my own saliva, it was just white foam for a day until my surgeon arrived to unfil me. Thankfully, the baby flipped the port back around! Well, its been a mess for too long.  I dont hate the lap band...I think it has prevented me from going past this weight but its been no help for losing.  In fact, last January I hit the gym HARD ...everyday for two hours cardio and weight training and in six months I lost 4 lbs.  I think the band messed with my ability to lose.

I am considering RNY because its what insurance will approve for my weight of 243...have to be heavier for the DS. Im worried that I will continue to be a failure but I have hope for my body to react to RNY in a way it didnt with the lap band.   Anyway, I need to do something.  As my boys age I need to be more active and do fun things outdoors like ride bikes and go for hikes.  I can do it now, but only for a short time. I want to be active and enjoy it!

So far, I met with a surgeon and my insurance will cover but I need to see the dietician and psych. Then another visit with the surgeon.  I think at that point I find out if I have final approval. Looking forward to sharing my SUCCESS story.
Lap Band 2/06
Planning a revision
(deactivated member)
on 2/10/11 5:38 pm
I am sure you have seen all the RNY to DS posts on here.  You should at least try to fight for a DS.

I wish you all the success whichever route you take.
terilynn112
on 2/10/11 9:50 pm - maryland, NY
probably to early to say this... but I've already lost more than I did with the band, with my bpass.... and i'm only one month post op

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

MsBatt
on 2/11/11 5:02 am
If you want the DS, then fight for it. Ridiculous denials get overturned every day, and there are folks on the DS board who'll help you appeal.
Sarah P.
on 2/11/11 8:14 pm
I had 2 bands and converted to RNY.Lots of problems with the bands, fills too tight, reflux, a slip and then total intolerance...my port was replaced at one point also.
I am very happy so far. I would like to be losing faster but other than that I am thrilled. Oh ,can eat most things ( as long as the sugar and carbs aren't too high, Oh and fat makes me dump too) I am still learning. It is still the best decission that I have made for myself. I feel great and am down 45 pounds in 4 1/2 months.

HW / SW / CW / GW
270   252   178 150        
Most Active