Calling all Lapband to VSGers! Tell me why it's better

media604
on 2/6/11 10:22 am - GA
Lapband to VSG folks - If both are restrictive only surgeries, please explain to me why I will be more successful at the VSG than the lapband. I"m on my 2nd band, 7 yrs out, constantly too tight or too lose, originally lost 100 lbs., had a slip, gained 50 lbs., got 2nd band, lost 25 lbs., gained it back.

Highest WT 270, lowest with 1st band 170, currently 223 after 7 years and tired of fill..paing and throwing up, unfill, fill...pain and throwing up, unfill, fill ...unfill you guys get it I know.

I want a revision and I want the sleeve but I need to hear why you guys think I will be more successful with it than the band.

Thanks so much you guys for this great forum!

time-4-change
on 2/6/11 10:43 am
Great Question!  I'd love to hear all the answers, too!  I got my band on Dec 13, 2006...4 years ago...and lost about 45 lbs initially...gained a little back and stayed around 200 lbs for a couple of years.  Had some major issues last year with constant vomiting and decided to address the problem with my surgeon and was encouraged to remove the saline for a month to let the inflammation heal...Long story short, I am practically back to my start weight and I am ready for change.  I went in asking for a bypass and was told that the sleeve was a better option for me.  Yes, it is restrictive and yes, we need to know that we will still be held accountable for what we eat...BUT, they said that the initial weight loss is really great and that should get me back on a roll.  By cutting out the majority of our stomachs, we are also cutting out the hunger hormone production. I am happy to hear that because I am hungry all the time! 
I am anxious to hear all the other answers!  Good luck!  I'm going to set my surgery date tomorrow!!!

media604
on 2/6/11 11:14 am - GA
Congratulations on getting to set a date! I wish I were that far along. Question....what do your doctors say about long term weight loss as compared to the band? I hear that VSGers lose a lot initially but then what? I don't want to just gradually start being able to eat a little more, little more, and then before you know it! bam 50 lbs. back on. Also what about that piece of chocolate cake???? Does it just slide right through the VSG or does the VSG just stop you from wanting it?? And if it does slide right through, would I be strong enough to say no??

I just want to understand how this will work better than the band. I know want the malabsorptive aspect of the DS or RNY but neither do I want to be back 50 lbs. heavier again in 5 more years!

Thanks so much for sharing any advice.
time-4-change
on 2/6/11 11:56 am
I just reread the portion on Chocolate Cake...well, I will have to admit that a good portion of my weight gain had to do with Ice Cream....If I don't get a handle on that,  then this won't be a success either!
media604
on 2/6/11 11:16 am - GA
I also meant to ask, what specific reasons did the dr give you for saying the sleeve would be so much better for you than the RNY?

time-4-change
on 2/6/11 11:51 am
I asked about RNY and he said he likes the Sleeve because you actually get rid of the biggest part of the stomach...it's not just hanging out in there.  It, also, might have something to do with the amount of weight I need to lose.  He did say that I should plan on losing a lot of weight in the first 6 months...sounds good to me! (The Sleeve is actually the stomach portion of the Duodenal Switch procedure.

Most Active